[JPL] Playlist: Sound of Surprise 8-1-04

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 2 01:33:11 EDT 2004

Sound of Surprise
Sunday 5-7 pm.
WPFW-FM
Washington D.C.

1) Phil Morrison-Philanthropy (Philanthropy)

Two recent dates by the late jazz recording engineer David Baker
2) Will & Rainbow-Israel (Harmony)
3) John Scofield Trio-Over Big Top (En Route)

4) Della Reese-Yes, Indeed (Yes, Indeed-Women Vocalists On United)
5) Tab Smith-Crazy Walk (Crazy Walk)
6) Leo Parker-Cool Leo (The United Records Story)
7) Betty Mays-Mays' Haze (Yes, Indeed)
8) The 4 Blazes-Raggedy Ride (The United Records Story)

New Jazz Interpretations of Lennon & McCartney
9) Ron Davis & Lori Cullen-I Will (Solo, Duo, Trio)
10) Fred Hersch-And I Love Her (Fred Hersch Trio + 2)
11) Curtis Stigers-I Feel Fine (Concord)
12) John La Barbera-Eleanor Rigby (On The Wild Side)
13) Ben Allison-Across The Universe (Buzz)

14) Mystery Musician Quiz: Von Freeman-Be My Love (The Great Divide)

Selections from the Ethiopiques Series
15) Mulatu Astatqe-Metche Dershe (Ethiopiques Vol. 4)
16) Mulatu Astatqe-Gubelye (Ethiopiques Vol. 10)
17) Tesfa Maryam Kidane-Yetesfa Tezeta (Ethiopiques Vol. 8)
18) Messele Asmamaw/Tigaw Bellete-Ethiopia Hagere (Ethiopiques Vol. 2)
19) Abebayehush-Traditional Amhara (Ethiopiques Vol. 15)
20) Mulatu Astatqe-Yegelle Tezeta (Ethiopiques Vol. 4)

21) Closing Theme: George Adams-Going Home (Nightingale)
Host: Larry Appelbaum
jumpmonk at hotmail.com