[JPL] Illinois Jacquet

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Mon Aug 2 09:34:23 EDT 2004

A friend of mine sent me some email and she mentioned she went to Illinois
Jacquet's funeral. She attended Howard with his daughter, Pamela Jacquet
Davis who is now a doctor based in Scottsdale, Arizona.

My friend mentioned that one of WGBH's announcers, Ron Della Chiesa, spoke
at the service. There is a recording by Jacquet called Jacquet's Got It
that came out years ago on Atlantic. There is a tune on that recording
called Running With Ron. Della Chiesa use to jog to work everyday and
Jacquet wrote that one for him.

Here's a quote from the email I got from my friend.

Some of the other people who spoke or preformed were: Phil Schaap, Quintet
made up of: Clark Terry, Jimmy Heath, Barry Harris, Earl May, Eddie Locke.
Other speakers were: Bob Porter, Hank Jones, Pamela Jacquet Davis, M.D.,
taped message and song by Renee Fleming and they showed excerpts from the
film : "The Texas Tenor-The Story of Illinois Jacquet" He is buried at
Woodlawn cemetary in the Bronx near Miles Davis, Duke Ellington and Lionel
Hampton. He is truly on "The Sunny Side of the Street."

Eric Jackson
WGBH 89.7 Boston
Mon - Thurs 7 PM - Mid
www.wgbh.org