[JPL] The Jazz Week Ahead at SIRIUS: Tony Bennett, Louis Armstrong, Jane Monheit & More

Abramovitz Matt mabramovitz at siriusradio.com
Mon Aug 2 11:57:11 EDT 2004

SIRIUS broadcasts direct from the JVC Jazz Festival at Newport, RI on August 14-15!

Tony Bennett Birthday Salute (August 3)
[Standard Time/75]
Enjoy a day-long salute to the greatest living interpreter of the American songbook: Tony Bennett.  Can't get enough Tony?  Tune in for a full Tony Bennett Weekend on August 6-8.

Louis Armstrong:  It's Official! (August 4)
[Pure Jazz/72, Swing Street/73 & Standard Time/75]
Louis Armstrong loved to say he was born on July 4, 1900, but the real date was actually 13 months later.  We celebrate America's jazz ambassador-and one of the greatest performers of the 20th century-on the real day of his birth across three SIRIUS channels.

Jackie McLean on Jazz Profiles (August 6-7)
[NPR Now/106]
In five decades of jazz, Jackie McLean has lived the quintessential jazz survivor's life. A veteran of bebop, he emerged from the shadow of Charlie Parker and drugs to make a music bristling with passion and a Hemingway-esque direction. McLean debuted on Miles Davis' 1951 album Dig!, and from the late 1950s to the present has led his own groups. These raw edged, taut units included Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams, Billy Higgins, Donald Byrd, Lee Morgan, Roy Haynes, and others. Hear his story Friday at 11 p.m. ET, repeated on Saturday at 9 p.m. ET.

Guest Host:  Jane Monheit (August 7)
[Standard Time/75]
Enjoy an encore presentation of singing sensation Jane Monheit as she takes over the controls at SIRIUS to play her favorite vocal records.  You'll hear all the music that inspired her forthcoming album, Taking a Chance on Love (Sony Classical), due out in September.  The program airs at 6 p.m. ET, repeated Sunday, August 8 at 9 p.m. ET.

The Pianos of August (August 7-8)
[Pure Jazz/72]
Your horoscope says there are pianists in your future!  This weekend we honor the many Leo and Virgo piano players born in August:  George Shearing, Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans, Kenny Drew, and many more.

Remembering the King:  Benny Carter (August 8)
[Pure Jazz/72 & Swing Street/73]
Back in the day, they used to call him "The King"-and with good reason.  Reflecting on Benny Carter's many talents, Duke Ellington once said, "The problem of expressing the contributions that Benny Carter has made to popular music is so tremendous in completely fazes me."  On the 97th anniversary of Carter's birth you'll hear his skills as a saxophonist, trumpeter, composer and arranger.

And congratulations to Catherine Wilcox of Olathe, Kansas, the winner of our Summer Getaway to Newport contest.  SIRIUS broadcasts direct from the festival on August 14 & 15.  For more information go to: <http://www.sirius.com/>.