[JPL] Why I look forward to Frequency Media

Open All Nite Entertainment steve at openallnite.com
Mon Aug 9 15:26:37 EDT 2004

Here, here Arturo!

For those who care . . . I did a comparison of the JazzWeek reporting
stations that Frequency Media was monitoring for one of my artists and most
of the stations were dramatically off.  A few were very close (within 1 or
2 spins) but many that were reporting the record were not playing it at
all.  Although I appreciate the opportunity to have my artist chart, and
from a perception stand point it all looks great, in the long run it hurts
the artist more than it helps.  Also, If a station is reporting and I think
they are playing the record, I am going to generate unnecessary focus
towards that stations market based on inaccurate information.

It diminishes my credibility to push a publicist to generate publicity in
that market, push the distributor to push product in that market, to push
money, resources and time into a market when the station in that market is
giving misinformation.  In these times we can't afford to waste time,
resources and opportunities.  Labels are much more willing to put effort
towards a market that is truly supporting the artist with airplay.  If I am
going to consider underwriting for a station, I want to know that they are
really playing my artists records.  I know the bugs are not out of the
system yet, but I too look forward to a more honest approach.  I appreciate
those who are keeping it honest.  Now, at least we have a way of confirming it.

Steve Belkin

Open All Nite Entertainment
9636 McLennan Ave.
Northridge, CA  91343