[JPL] WEMU Top 25 Cuban/Brazilian 8/1-7/04

Linda Yohn Linda.Yohn at emich.edu
Wed Aug 11 14:57:52 EDT 2004

What a wealth of Latin Jazz, Afro-Cuban, African and Brazilian musical
treasures we WEMU hosts and listeners are enjoying!  Artists and
labels, thank you very much.  Since there are so many excellent current
titles and reissues, I expanded this week's report to 25 titles.  The
number in parentheses tells you how many times we played a disc.

1   Tumbao - Montuno Salad - PKO (8)
2   Lila Downs - Una Sangre - Narada (7)
3   Tito Puente, Jr. - En Los Pasos De Mi Padre - Protel (4)
4   Rebeca Mauleon - Latin Fire - Rumbeca Music (3)
5   Spanish Harlem Orchestra - Across 110th Street - Libertad (3)
6   Jerry Gonzalez - Y Los Pirates Del Flamenco - Sunnyside (3)
7   The Henry Mora Orchestra - Live At The Montebello In - Tropico (3)
8   Orquestra Popular De Camara - Orquestra Popular De Camara -
Adventure Music (3)
9   The Body Acoustic - The Body Acoustic - Chesky (3)
10  Nomo - Nomo - Ypsilanti Records (3)
11  The Big 3 Palladium Orchestra - Live At The Blue Note -Rumba Jams
(2)
12  Candido And Graciela - Inolvidable - Chesky (2)
13  Sekou Bembeya Diabate - Guitar Fo - Disco Rama (2)
14  Ozomatli - Street Signs - Concord (2)
15  Various Artists - Ritmo Afro-Cubano - Fantasy (2)
16  Various Artists - Pure Brazil: Feijoda - Planet Rhythm (2)
17  Various Artists - Pure Brazil: Social - Planet Rhythm (2)
18  Various Artists - Pure Brazil: Bossa 4 Two - Planet Rhythm (2)
19  Bolo Sete - Voodoo Village - Fantasy (2)
20  Omara Portuando - Flor De Amor - Nonesuch (1)
21  Jose Rizo's Jazz On The Latin Side All Stars - The Last Bullfighter
- Sangu (1)
22  Moacir Santos - Oura Negro - Adventure Music (1)
23  Mike Marshall And Choro Famoso - Mike Marshall And Choro Famoso -
Adventure Music (1)
24  Bobby Matos - Made By Hand - Life Force (1)
25  Bebo Vqldes And Cigala Dieguito - Lagrimas Negras - Calle 54 (1)

This list reflects airplay on all 89.1 Jazz shows as well as "Cuban
Fantasy" and Brazilian Sol".  "Cuban Fantasy" with Marc Taras airs from
7 to 9PM Mondays, followed by "Brazilian Sol" with Mary Catherine Smith
from 9 to 11.

Keep this good stuff coming!  If you want to send music to the hosts of
the special shows, that is appreciated, but please always make sure
there is a station copy sent to my attention for all music hosts to
play.

Here is the best address:

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director