[JPL] Fwd: A question on a Jazz Vocalist

jwilke123 at comcast.net jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 12 20:45:31 EDT 2004

Ooops, sorry, guess some of you didn't quite notice the tongue-in-cheek nature of that posting about the listener inquiry about "Summertime".

Several people wrote me off list who were amused by the listener's email. Yes, I am aware of "several" singers who sang "Summertime".  To further explain, I pointed out to the listener 2 reasons why it was difficult to provide a definitive answer to his question.

1.  According to allmusic.com there are 2,155 recordings of "Summertime",  more than a few of which I've played on Jazz After Hours.

2.  Without a specific or even approximate date of broadcast, it's very difficult for me to pinpoint the singer he heard out of the 20 years the program has been on the air.
I would guess maybe a couple hundred have been heard singing the song over that time span.

I did point him to the playlists on our website at jazzafterhours.org/playlists.html which go back more than a year and include more than 700 hours of music logs.  Yes, it is searchable, and many listeners, artists and record companies access it each week to see what was played.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org