[JPL] New Orleans Jazz Fest Will Go On

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Tue Aug 17 17:29:26 EDT 2004

New Orleans Jazz Fest Will Go On

.c The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival will go on, say
organizers, despite losses of $800,000 to $900,000 on this year's event.

``We do not have the $2 million to roll out the (2005) festival,'' Byron
Hughey, treasurer of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation, said
recently. ``But there will be a festival. I can assure you of that.''

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the U.S.-led war in Iraq hurt attendance
and cut into profits from the 2002 and 2003 festivals. The foundation
tapped into its financial reserves to meet its charitable donations and
didn't have much left to cover losses from this year's event, which was
hurt by several days of rain.

Don Marshall, the foundation's new executive director, said he plans to
launch a Friends of the Fest membership organization and become more
aggressive about applying for grants.

On the festival side, Marshall said marketing and sponsorship plans, the
musical lineup and nighttime concerts will be re-evaluated.

The foundation is negotiating with Festival Productions Inc., which has
produced the annual music festival since it began in 1970. Quint Davis,
president of the company, said Festival Productions is willing to help ease
the foundation's financial woes, like it did in 1972, the last time the
festival ended up in the red.

``In our proposal, we have offered to put up all of the money that it
takes, not only to put up the money (to start the festival) but to cover
potential losses from the festival,'' Davis said.

On the Net:

http://www.nojazzfest.com/

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations