[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Aug 16

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 01:19:04 EDT 2004

Still Another Jazz Show      Aug 16

David Murray & The Gwo-Ka Masters     “Djolla Feeling”
“Go To Jazz” DAVID MURRAY & THE GWO-KA MASTERS
featuring   Pharoah Sanders

Jon Cleary  and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen
“Oh, No, No, No”
PIN  YOUR SPIN      Basin Street Records

Dr. John   “Marie Laveau” N’AWLINZ, DIS, DAT D’UDDA
Blue Note Records

Sala Brothers   “Until Forever”    OUT OF THE BLUE
BLUJAZZ

Pete Mills     “Dot Com”   “In Walked Bud”   “Chelsea
Bridge”
ART and ARCHITECTURE       Summit   Records

Amanda Monaco 4      “Hedgehog”   “Gaza Strip Mall”
Genevieve Records

Bebo & Cigala   “Inolvidable”    LAGRIMAS NEGRAS
Bluebird Records

Andy Bey      “It’s Only A Paper Moon”    AMERICAN
SONG
Savoy Jazz

Bobby Watson & Horizon      “The Look Of Love”
HORIZON
REASSEMBLED            Palmetto  Records

Erin McDougald     “I Told You I Love You Now Get
Out/He Was A Good
Man As Good Men Go”       Blujazz

Giacomo Gates      “I Told You I Loved You Now Get
Out”   CENTERPIECE
Origin Records

Terry Gibbs     “Round Midnight”      	52ND & BROADWAY
   SONGS
OF THE   BEBOP  ERA                   Mack Ave.
Records

Jim Rotundi Quintet    “Blues Nouveau”   NEW VISTAS
 Criss Cross Records

Jeff Marx    “Forsaken Times”   TREADING AIR/BREATHING
FIRE
Soluna Records

Joe Gilman     “Darius”    TIME AGAIN      BRUBECK
REVISITED
Sunnyside Records

Benny Golson     “In Your Own Sweet Way”     TERMINAL
 1
Concord Records

DAVID MURRAY & THE GWO-KA MASTERS begin with “Djolla
Feeling” written by guitarist Herves  Sambe. “Gwo-Ka
masters is an exciting band.   This is one band to be
videoed live to be fully appreciated by new audiences.
There’s so much here, as in last year’s Murray’s Latin
Big Band. So much sound,  free thinking and with
Pharoah Sanders , it becomes more expansive. There’s a
strong big band element here. It’s the frenetic
rhythmic patterns, African chants and cadence that add
to the power. It may seem somewhat foreign at first,
but with repeated listens, one can get into the thrust
and power of this CD. For David Murray is doing
experimental methods that work.   We also played “Go
To Jazz.” There is such similarity with New Orleans,
we thought, time now for JON CLEARY AND THE ABSOLUTE
MONSTER GENTLEMEN. We played the reggae  based “Oh No,
No, No.” from the new Basin Street, PIN YOUR SPIN.
Ivan Neville is featured on back up vocals.   Leads us
deeper into that New Orleans ‘hoo-doo thing’, with DR
JOHN from da latest, N, AWLINZ; DIS, DAT OR D’UDDA.
This is out and out voodoo mystical, ratlin of yer
inner cages,  as only Dr John can do! We played the
story about Marie Laveau, the witchiest of seer
artisans down on the Bayou.   Only Dr John ca n draw
to a misty conclusion ,  what David Murray started on
this set. The SALA  BROTHERS from their new hard bop
heaven, OUT OF THE BLUE take us to the break with
“Until Forever.”  Remember early Mangione Brothers on
“Brooks Brothers, “ on Riverside, ages ago?   Well,
The Salas play like they’re  wearing those thin lapel
suits, with short brim hats, Ray Bans and skinny assed
ties.  You know what I’m talkin about!!!
PETE MILLS keeps us boppin in the next segment
with”Dot Com,” “In Walked To Bud” and Strayhorn’s
whimsical “Chelsea Bridge” in the new ART and
ARCHITECTURE.   Mills definitely has all the chops and
moves in this new CD with other Men of Respect, Pete
McCann, Dennis Irwin, Matt Wilson and Bobby Floyd on
piano. Mills is a distinct artisan tenor of the
progressive jazz mainstream.   Guitarist, AMANDA
MONACO  is next with two selections  from the new
AMANDA MONACO 4.    Monaco doesn’t play loud or
boisterous, dazzling us with dexterity. She plays
within the context of the group,  termed as
‘Introspective bop” with many variant shapes and
themes. The theme is stated directly with confidant,
listen here, dammit!  We got something to talk about.’
 We played “Hedgehog” and “Gaza Strip Mall.” This CD
has a young aggressive ‘Basquiet’ third world lingo
about it.     For  whatever reason , “Gaza Strip Mall”
reminded me of “Inolvidable” from BEBO & CIGALA from
LAGRIMAS NEGRAS. Bebo Valdes, Cuban pianist and
Flamenco singer, Cigala.  What a beautiful CD.  This
group should work on Sunday afternoons at the
Guggenheim.  Although,  Saturday night at a small café
in Greenwich Village would be a treat, Borders in
Queens maybe, but Stockton?   If it’s word of mouth,
not a chance.
ANDY BEY opens the segment with “It’s Only A Paper
Moon” from AMERICAN SONG on Savoy Jazz.   You no doubt
aware of Bey’s versatility. He seems to age with such
grace and style.  And as an interpreter of lyrics
there’s no other greater than,  by the Bey.
BOBBY WATSON & HORIZONS continue the grand slow dance
with Bacharach’s “Look Of Love” from HORIZON
REASSEMBLED.   What stands out here on this rendition
is the solo  work between alto saxophonist Bobby
Watson and trumpet player Terell Stafford.  Stafford
and Watson show everything, chops seasoned with
romance, mellow and solid gold technique.
Then, in  a battle of versions of,   “I Told You I
Love You Now Get Out!” First the feminine version from
ERIN McDOUGALD from her new AUBURN COLLECTION. Then
GIACOMO GATES lends his  prophesy to the score from
his new CENTERPIECE CD.
TERRY GIBBS concludes this segment with a version of
“Round Midnight” featuring Nicholas Payton and James
Moody and gracious string section, as classic as a
Charley Parker & strings . The CD is 52ND &
BROADWAY-Songs Of The Bebop Era.
JIM ROTUNDI  QUINTET kicks in the door for the last
segment with a rousing original  “Blues Nouveau.” from
NEW VISTAS.   And he brought with him a band of
reckoning, Chris Potter, Peter Bernstein, Sam Yahel
and Billy Stewart.   This is a testy driving groove,
reminding me of the  old Grant Green, eighteen minute
songs on one side of a Blue Note album in the sixties.
   You know with “Blues Nouveau” this band has it,
right off.
JEFF MARX is next with “Forsaken Time” from his new
CD, TREADING AIR/BREATHING FIRE.  Marx is a solid
player who paid his dues and swings with grace and
soul, payin dues to the greats and had created his own
style.  Marx has that essential  hard bop sound and
there’s some anarchistic Booker Ervin  view of the
landscape.  Some credit here also is with the rest of
the band, John Esposito-piano, Ira Coleman-bass and
Peter O’Brien-drums.
JOE GILMAN with an opening on the Brubeck tune that’s
mythical, comprising music influences over the last
600 years,  then Justin Brown and Joe Sanders kick it
in ‘streets’  and they’re  running on “Darius” from
TIME AGAIN: BRUBECK REVISITED.  This is the most
reflective and inspiring Brubeck perspective, heard in
years.   BENNY GOLSON closes with a classic Brubeck,
“In Your Own Sweet Way” from the  TERMINAL 1 CD.
Golson’s a nice way to say goodbye!

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
Mondays, 10 am & 10 pm, Pacific