[JPL] IAJE Industry Track Posting #1

Don Lucoff dondlmedia at covad.net
Wed Dec 1 16:58:56 EST 2004

Dear Radio Colleagues;

Here's an update on what's happening at the upcoming IAJE conference in Long
Beach in regard to radio-related sessions, as part of the Industry Track
presented by JAI.  In response to feedback we received from the jazz radio
community, we decided to run three workshop sessions, one each day on
Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Although we have assigned moderators to
these sessions, these workshops are meant to be entirely participatory.  The
role of the moderator will be to facilitate discussion among the
participants, rather than "preach to the converted."  We found that radio
programmers most appreciated the opportunity to share ideas and resources.
We hope this new structure leads to more fruitful discussion of the issues
that are facing jazz radio today.

JazzWeek will again be sponsoring a panel on jazz radio, specifically on the
ways and means of airplay and reporting.  JazzTimes will be presenting a
panel with veterans of jazz radio, as part of its slate of sponsored panels.

Besides these sessions specifically geared to radio, you will find all sorts
of interesting topics and panels, including plenty of 1:1 anecdotal sessions
with artists such as James Moody, Christian McBride, Charlie Haden, Gerald
Wilson and George Duke. And who can forget the inspirational sight of young
kids running around the hotels in packs and lugging their instruments and
trying their best to be as cool as the jazz legends they see walking around
the lobby?

We hope to see you there too.

Don Lucoff, DL Media
Lee Mergner, JazzTimes
Suzan Jenkins, JAI/IAJE

For radio station corespondents doing live feed artists phone interviews or
pre-taped segments, the press office (203B/Convention Ctr.) can make the
adjacent interview room available.  We have also added a third industry room
which will host all the radio workshops and industry meetings (Industry
Track, JJA, Jazz Radio Consortium, Publicists, Ask the Experts) to be held
in the Jazz Underground Room (308/Seaside level, Terrace Theatre.).

For updated conference information, go to www.iaje.org