[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show Nov 29

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 20:09:58 EST 2004

Still Another Jazz Show   Nov 29

Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey  “Walking With Giants”
WALKING WITH GIANTS    Hyena Records

Steve Swallow/ Ohad Taylor Sextet   “Making Ends Meet”
L’histoire du Clochard     Palmetto Records

Bruce Henry     “Equinox”   “On The Red Clay”
CONNECTIONS       BAHLOVE  PRODUCTIONS

Lonnie Smith   “Too Damn Hot”  “Back Track”
TOO DAMN HOT    Palmetto Records

Alex  Sipiagin  Sextet     “Mood”   EQUILIBRIUM
Criss  Cross Records

Rob Schneiderman   “I Concentrate On You”   BACK IN
TOWN
Reservoir Records

Art Pepper   “Smack Up“   ”Move”     THE BEST OF...
Contemporary Records

Jim Snidero    “Close Up”   “Blues For The Moment”
 “Smash”    CLOSE UP    Milestone Records

Bobby Timmons    “Moanin”  “Dat Dere”
THE BEST OF...     Riverside Records/Fantasy Jazz

Patricia Barber   “Blue Prelude”    LIVE
A FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE   Blue Note

Peter Cincotti    “He’s Watching”    ON THE MOON
Concord Jazz

David Sills    “Deep Sleep”   EASTERN VIEW
Origin Records

There’s an arc here, not necessarily conducive to
jazz radio programing, of which  I’m not a credible
source. Usually start the show with something new,
avant- gard ‘pushing the envelope’ and build toward
the mainstream even a pop jazz conclusion. Always the
risk of the tune out factor that programmers have to
take into consideration. The arc is all wrong! Should
be the other way around.  Once you have their
attention, then play the edgy new material.  In the
ratings war the first fifteen minutes are key. But the
nature here  is to introduce music the listener may
not hear anywhere else. It’s old radio. Hunker to the
days when Blue Note featured fifteen minutes
selections. Or the old Herbie Mann Atlantic -Live At
The Village Gate, “It Ain’t Necessarily So; “  one
whole side of the album. Those were the good old days.
So we start with the new. Wake up to the JACOB FRED
JAZZ ODYSSEY and the  new,  WALKING WITH THE  GIANTS
CD on Hyena  Records.   They’ll appear in Roseville in
our area, December 7 at the Owl Club.
SAJS  begins with an avant gard  contrapuntal ball of
works, “Walking with the Giants.”  Jacob Fred Jazz
Odyssey presents a powerful view of a nu- jazz reality
to a new jazz audience. These are highly trained
skillful musicians, who jam til the lights go on at
last call That’s the  way it is when you’re young.
(Two more cups of coffee and we’ll jam til 4 am.) In
the spirit of M.M.W. , e.s.t., Bad Plus and assorted
others giving a hand to the nu music, as is the case
with a new vital group of people who are hip to
Coltrane,  Ornette and electric Miles.  ‘Walking With
The Giants’ will introduce to a whole new side of the
nu hip language of the DJ  bars in Venice, Ca..  STEVE
SWALLOW and OHAD TAYLOR Sextet carry on the George
Russell avant tradition , a clash between classical
and modern jazz. Swallow and Taylor could have written
and performed a soundtrack for one of the John
Cassevettes films, such as “Faces” or “A Woman on the
verge of something or other.” Powerhouse lyrical
invective is prominent here in a  Louis Pasteur
version of L’histore du CLOCHARD, (the bum’s tale.)
We like France. Where else can everyone receive a four
week vacation on the house with time to enjoy the
finer things in life;    manja... wine, a travel
trailer and Django Reinhardt for the summer!
Vocalist , lyricist,  BRUCE a.  HENRY compounds the
interest with the  new CONNECTIONS   CD with the
visceral elegance of “Eqinoux” by Gil Scot Heron and
John Coltrane.  Oh, Dionysus,  tear down those walls!!
 Then onto “On The Red Clay” by Freddie Hubbard and
Mark Murphy. Street talking with a hard bop groove and
a fender Rhodes by Peter Schimke, that’ll send shivers
to your soul. Recommend th next  riff  “Darker
Brother/I Too Sing Of America.   Some originals and
groove standards cooked to perfection by Bruce Henry.
It’s only apropos to follow with  A ‘TOO DAMN HOT’
DOCTOR  LONNIE  SMITH to begin the second segment with
the title tune.  The good doctor plays the B-3 with
the intensity and tradition of Brother Jack and Sir
Charles Earland.  Lordy, it’s just too damn hot! I
guarantee, that if  you hear this song - live - it’ll
unburden your soul. There’s so much church!   Then,
we followed up with “Back Track,”   And there’s so
much ‘touch’ and ‘dynamics’ to this heady little sort
and Rodney Jones plays so nice, this should last for a
good twenty minutes. Take me back  to Philly and shake
that thang!  Always,  Smith takes it up a notch the
longer it goes...Always.   The white Russian,  ALEX
SIPIAGIN sextet is next with “Mood 2” from the
EQUILIBRIUM on Criss Cross Records . This band is
hard bop,  roaring  glass pack mufflers on a 52 Ford
chocolate brown coupe, rumbling down the street.
There’s force and purpose in  their movement.  There
are other great tunes on this CD.  Sipiagin, along
with Chris Potter, David Binney, Dave Kikoski,  Scott
Colley and drummer Gene Jackson. It’s a great band in
the tradition of the Dave Holland Band.  Pianist,  ROB
 SCHNEIDERMAN  concludes the first hour with a stellar
trio, Boris Koslov,  bass and  Jonathan Blake, drums
and a nice take on Cole Porter’s  “I Concentrate On
You.”  Lot’s of room for generous solo-ing on this CD
with bass and drums. There’s similar energy in this
band  to the Oscar Peterson Trio.
The great ART PEPPER sounds off the second hour from
THE BEST OF...series from Comtemporary/ Fantasy Jazz
series with two fine bop selections, the first, “Smack
Up,” quintet with Jack Sheldon, trumpet, Peter Jolly,
Jimmy Bond, bass and Frank Butler, drums-much of the
West Coast sidemen who’d sit in on various fifties and
sixties recordings with such headliners, Harold Land,
Curtis Counts, and Carl Perkins. The second tune
“Move” by Denzil Best and  featured Art Pepper with
the Marty Paich band. Good classic big swinging band
of the that era, which is probably the best of my
generation.   Big band jazz of the time was the best,
especially in the sixties when the technology
improved.  Maynard with Ernie Wilkins, Kenton with
Johnny Richards, and others too numerous.  The
subjective truth is, when it’s your era,  it’s all
good!
JIM SNIDERO is next for good reason with the new
Milestone release, CLOSEUP.  Jim Snidero to my ear is
very much an Art Pepper disciple and with Eric
Alexander, ‘Gene Ammons ‘type tenor with that phat wet
soulful tone, we got the blues up front and hanging
out with the intensity of an Art Pepper and Sonny
Stitt.  We played two others from this CD, “Blues For
The Moment” and “Smash.” to get the message across...
BOBBY TIMMONS  begins the last segment with “Moanin”
and “Dat Dere” from the BEST OF...series.  I hear
Bobby Timmons and remembeer past lives of
coffee-cigarettes-Minor Key Art Blakey Jazz
Messengers- a young Wayne Shorter on the band stand
with Lee Morgan-playing scorching solos-drinking
coffee-smoking Camels, Jimmy Merritt, Art Blakey and
Bobby Timmons on piano.  That was French new wave.
Remember The Jazz Messengers in Roger Vadim’s “Les
Laisons Dangeuries. ” Timmons impact  was the gospel
to the funk hard bop that we enjoyed...”Moanin” “Dat
Dere,” This Here,” “So Tired, ” etc..  The same
influence permeates through Timmons writing at that
time.  It was  the jazz Du - Wop of the time and
Timmons was right there with Horace Silver, Art Blakey
and others.     PATRICIA  BARBER is next with LIVE- A
FORTNIGHT IN FRANCE on Blue Note. We played “Blue
Prelude” with Barber coercing us with her poignant
stares and bluesy inflection.  Barber is a satirical
reflection of our satiated WalMart  compel -ism.  She
does it in a nice sophisticated mid western mannerism.
 PETER CINCOTTI is next with a personal reflection. A
true look at an artist’s soul is through his writing,
and “He’s Watching.”  There’s a lot of honesty here.
Love -death - family- resolution. Stuff that’s so
personal the artist doesn’t have to reveal before the
camera.  In fact,  we’d appreciate it.
Forego the camera stuff. Hype is not real and in
Shakespeare’s  time - the lowest form of humor.
We close with  DAVID SILLS and his latest Origin
release EASTERN VIEW and “Deep Sleep.”
You remember Sill’s work with the Acoustic Jazz
Quartet, ORIGIN. Excellent band worl and Dave Sills
fits right it,  as well on this new one.   This is
saxophone, Dave Sills with  a Hammond B-3 based band
with Joe Bagg on organ. So  much godly music- the
music of heaven!

Dick  Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
“The Voice”   88.7fm