[JPL] the origins on the "W" and "K" in station call letters

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 3 20:41:11 EST 2004

That's great info, some of which I'd heard before, some I hadn't -
especially the part about ships and land stations calls beginning with
different  letters.    I grew up in Iowa and there were a number of
stations there who were grandfathered "W" stations despite being West
of the Mississippi - WSUI Iowa City (started in 1919 with the call 9YA!
), and some three-letter calls (really old)  WHO, Des Moines and WMT,
Cedar Rapids.   Out West there were some three letter K calls - KGO,
San Francisco,  KOL and KJR in Seattle and KSL, Salt Lake and KOA in
Denver - most of these still operating except KOL.

Did you know WLS, Chicago was originally owned and operated by Sears
Roebuck and the WLS stood for World's Largest Store?

Jim Wilke   (former WSUI announcer)
Jazz After Hours
729 North 66th Street
Seattle WA  98103