[JPL] This Week on Sirius: Brubeck Interview, Marsalis DVD Giveaway, Coltrane Tribute & More!

Abramovitz Matt mabramovitz at siriusradio.com
Mon Dec 6 10:08:47 EST 2004

THIS WEEK ON SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO
(December 6, 2004)

Brubeck Time! (December 6)
[Pure Jazz/72]
Dave Brubeck turns 84 today and we're celebrating with hourly tracks from his vast repertoire!  Listen throughout the day for hits like "Take Five" and "Blue Rondo a la Turk," as well as some lesser-known gems.   And at 5 p.m. ET, midday host Rhonda Hamilton chats with Dave on the phone!

Organ Grinder Swing (December 8)
[Pure Jazz/72]
Get your recommended dose of Vitamin B-3 as we celebrate the organ today on Pure Jazz.  We'll mark the birthday of the legendary Jimmy Smith (b. 1925) with a Hammond B-3 extravaganza.  You'll hear classics organ grooves, as well as exclusive performances from Larry Goldings and Gene Ludwig recorded here at our New York studios.

John Coltrane's A Love Supreme (December 9)
[Pure Jazz/72]
On December 9, 1964, John Coltrane and his quartet recorded the classic jazz suite A Love Supreme.  Pure Jazz will commemorate the 40th anniversary of the recording by playing the full suite, uninterrupted at 2 p.m. ET, repeated at 11 p.m. ET.

Rendezvous in New York: Chick Corea's Akoustic Band (December 9)
[Pure Jazz/72]
To celebrate his 60th birthday in 2001, Chick Corea played for three weeks at the Blue Note in New York, assembling some of his favorite bands and special guests.  Those performances will now be broadcast on BET Jazz and Sirius Satellite Radio!  Tune in every Thursday at 8 p.m. ET as we simulcast a new episode of Chick Corea and friends live in New York.  This week:  Chick Corea's Akoustic Band with John Paititucci & Dave Weckl.

Billie Holiday on Jazz Profiles (December 10-11)
[NPR Now/106]
Billie Holiday (1915-1959) was the consummate jazz singer. She could take any song and make it her own:  reworking a melody, singing a lyric with impeccable diction, adding her unique phrasing and embracing it with the raw emotional intensity of her life experience.  Billie's personal battles are legendary -- with a racist society, with men, with drugs -- and it was that pain that fueled her songs. But she worked at her craft, found her own voice, and inspired countless singers and musicians.  Hear her story this Friday at 11 p.m. ET, repeated on Saturday at 9 p.m. ET.

The Real McCoy:  McCoy Tyner Birthday Broadcast (December 11)
[Pure Jazz/72]
Piano giant McCoy Tyner turns 66 today and we're throwing him a day-long party on the airwaves.  You'll hear everything from his first recording with the Jazztet in 1960 to his latest album, Illuminations.  McCoy himself will drop in, too:  we'll have excerpts from our exclusive interview.

The Sinatra Songbook (December 12)
[Pure Jazz/72, Swing Street/73 & Standard Time/75]
Sirius honors Frank Sinatra this weekend across three channels!  Swing Street features the young singer earning his stripes with Harry James and Tommy Dorsey, while Pure Jazz has interpretations of the tunes forever associated with Old Blue Eyes:  "I've Got You Under My Skin," "Fly Me to the Moon," "You Make Me Feel So Young," and many more.  Our Pure Jazz and Swing Street broadcasts run all day, but Sinatra is the guest of honor all weekend on Standard Time/75.

DVD/CD Giveaway:  Branford Marsalis Plays A Love Supreme
Inspired by John Coltrane's 1964 masterpiece, Branford Marsalis and his quartet performed the entire jazz suite A Love Supreme in Amsterdam last year.  This moving and fiery performance is now available on a 2-disc DVD/CD set from Marsalis Music, which includes bonus interviews and other extras.  It's the perfect stocking stuffer for you -- or the jazz fan in your life!  Starting Tuesday, December 6 we'll be giving away copies of Coltrane's A Love Supreme Live in Amsterdam.  Enter at our website: www.sirius.com/purejazz <http://www.sirius.com/purejazz>.