[JPL] Did your station participate in Ray Day?

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Sat Dec 11 12:03:58 EST 2004

Here at jazz 89 KUVO, we took part in Rhino Records' "National Day for Ray"
Friday December 10th, it marked the 6 month anniversay of the passing of Ray
Charles. We played a different jazz or blues trax by Brotha Ray ignoring the
hits at the top of each hour from 6am untill 6pm and gave away a OST of
"Ray" each hour as well. Some hosts played a 2nd Ray trax at the bottom of
the hour.  Our listeners loved it, the response surprised us, the phone
would not stop ringing in the studio all day long, even when we were not
giving away a CD. It was great to hear Mr. Charles on alto sax several times
throughout the day along with his unique vocals.

I am curious (but not yellow), how many other jazz stations participated?
Friday's USA Today's edition had a full page ad on the event and I saw
Siruis, Westwood 1, XM and EPSN Sports Radio, huh? in the ad as well as TV
outlets like BET, VHI and MTV.
We were told by Rhino that all station involved in the tribute were to be
listed in the ad, but either there were too many to list in a fashion
pleasing to the eye or they had a change of heart. Please let me know if
your station or if you know of another station in your market that was part
of "A Day For Ray".

I saw the newly released DVD, the 1963 Ray Charles Big Band TV concert in
Brazil that has just been released by Rhino, "O Genio". complete with the
ads in Portuguese, great performance, Ray and the band at its peak!

Arturo Gómez