[JPL] Re: Jazz Grammy Nomineess....

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 11 11:10:30 EST 2004

I don't believe anyone's mentioned it yet in the lists of jazz grammy
nominees, Category 83 is for best instrumental arrangement....

And the nominees are:

Bella Luce
Phil Kelly, arranger (Phil Kelly & The NW Prevailing Winds) Track from:
Convergence Zone [Origin Records]

Libertango
Jorge Calandrelli, arranger (Yo-Yo Ma) Track from: Obrigado Brazil -
Live In Concert
[Sony Classical]

The Long Passage
Chick Corea, arranger (Chick Corea Elektric Band) Track from: To The
Stars
[Stretch Records]

Past Present & Future
Slide Hampton, arranger (The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra)
Track from: The Way - Music Of Slide Hampton
[Planet Arts Recordings]

Sing, Sing, Sing
Jim McNeely, arranger (David Liebman Big Band)
Track from: Beyond The Line
[OmniTone]

... worthy nominees all, but we're especially pleased here in Seattle
to see the nomination of Phil Kelly for his chart for "Bella Luce", a
composition by Joe LaBarbera dedicated to the late Conte Candoli.
Jay Thomas plays the heartfelt trumpet solo in memory of the Count and
this band of mostly Seattle musicians plays beautifully on great charts
throughout the CD.

You should check it out if you haven't already.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org