[JPL] WEMU Top 25 Jazz 12/5-11/04

lyohn at emich.edu lyohn at emich.edu
Tue Dec 14 16:21:17 EST 2004

Hello! Here are the 25 most-played new and reissued
jazz CDs on 89.1 from December 5th through December
11th. The number in the parentheses tells you how
many times we played a disc.

1.	Roy Brooks/ Beat!/ Fresh Sounds (9)
2.	Steve Turre/ Spirits Up Above/ High Note (8)
3.	Orbert Davis/ Blue Notes/ 316 (7)
4.	Wallace Roney/ Prototype/ High Note (7)
5.	Carlos “Patato” Valdes/ El Hombre/ Mambo Maniacs (6)
6.	Dr. Lonnie Smith/ Too Damn Hot!/ Palmetto (5)
7.	Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers/ Hideout/
Milestone (5)
8.	Michael Wolff/ Dangerous Vision/ Artemis (5)
9.	Papa John DeFrancesco/ Walking Uptown/ Savant (5)
10.	Eddie Henderson/ Time And Spaces/ Sirocco Music (5)
11.	Dexter Gordon/ Complete Prestige Recordings/
Prestige (5)
12.	Don Pullen/ Mosaic Select 13: Don Pullen/ Mosaic (4)
13.	Phil Woods/ This Is How I Feel About Quincy/
Jazzed Media (4)
14.	Eric Alexander/ Dead Center/ High Note (4)
15.	Yeah! No!/ Swell Henry/ Squealer (4)
16.	Poncho Sanchez/ Poncho At Montreux/ Silver Line (4)
17.	Buyu Ambroise/ Blues In Red/ Justin Time (4)
18.     Manuel Valera/ Forma Nueva/ Mavo (3)
19.	Conrad Herwig And Brian Lynch/ Que Viva
Coltrane/ Criss Cross (3)
20.	Deep Blue Organ Trio/ Deep Blue Bruise/ Delmark (3)
21.	Ken Peplowski/ Easy To Remember/ Nagel-Heyer (3)
22.	Don Byron/ Ivey-Divey/ Blue Note (3)
23.	Tony Monaco/ Fiery Blues/ Summit (3)
24.	Tim Garland/ Change Of Season/ Sirocco Music (3)
25.	Hilario Duran/ New Danzon/ Alma (3)

Here are the groups and artists WEMU listeners
enjoyed:  Harry "Sweets" Edison, Duke Ellington,
Marian McPartland, Mary Lou Williams, Harry Goldson,
Etta Baker with Taj Mahal, Tom Rigney, Dan Treanor
and Frankie Lee, Medeski, Martin and Wood, Horace
Silver, Lighning Hopkins, Dinah Washington, Jeff
"Tain" Watts, Koko Taylor, Rory Block, Tom
Principato, Mojo Watson, Jimmy D. Lane, BB King,
Little Richard,  Johnny Winter, Professor Longhair,
Roy Carrier, Nora Jean Bruso, Dianne Reeves, Michel
Legrand, Rene Marie, Chris Thomas King, Stevie Ray
Vaughan, The Counts, Frank Sinatra, Pucho & The
Latin Soul Brothers, Kenny Garrett, Papa John
DeFrancesco, Mr. B, Big Joe Duskin, Paul Keller
Ensemble, Bill Heid, Dave Specter and Steve Freund,
Alex Schultz, RJ Mischo, Larry Chernikoff, Jane
Bunnett, Manuel Valera, Billie Holiday, Ken
Peplowski, Bill Charlap Trio, Ray Mantilla, Gerry
Mulligan, Count Basie, Phil Woods, Eric Alexander,
Anita O'Day, Josh Workman, Stephanie Ozer, Lynne
Arriale Trio, Dave Brubeck and Ralph Peterson.

Wow--that's one heck of a list!  WEMU is able to
please so many listeners in so many ways because of
your service and support.

This is the last "Top 25 Jazz" list for 2004.  We
have had another fantastic year of new and reissued
music on 89.1 thanks to you.  We know its tough on
small labels and individual artists, but we truly do
appreciate the confidence you show WEMU with your
outstanding service.  Along with our ace engineering
staff and our passionate on-air hosts, we are who we
are because of the music.

For your information, the results of the WEMU staff
poll and our listener poll will be announced on 89.1
Jazz with Michael Jewett and Nik Thompson this
Friday.  The show airs from 1PM to 4PM eastern time.
 Tune in--you might be surprised by our favorites
and our discerning listener's choices might surprise
you too.  You can listen online at <wemu.org>.

We look forward to serving you and WEMU listeners in
2005.

Peace and blessings to all in the new year.

Linda

Linda Yohn
WEMU Music Director
lyohn at emich.edu