[JPL] Jazz After Hours: Christmas under a Winter moon

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 19:59:08 EST 2004

Here's what's on Jazz After Hours this weekend - mostly Christmas music
on Christmas eve and Christmas night.  It's also the first winter
weekend and a full moon which gives us lots of inspiration and
opportunities for a little fun!

Programs are live on Public Radio International on Friday and Saturday
nights in the US starting at Midnight Eastern Time (5 AM GMT).  Each
program runs a total of seven hours although not all stations carry all
seven hours. The piece listed in parenthesis at the end of each hour is
an unannounced 40-sec fill segment that is not heard on all stations.
The program reaches an international audience through more than a dozen
streaming stations.  More information is available at
www.jazzafterhours.org   -  This is our Twentieth Year!

I hope you all have a cool yule and a swingin' new year -  see you in
Long Beach!

Jim Wilke
www.jazzafterhours.org

JAZZ AFTER HOURS FOR SATURDAY, DECEMBER 25, 2004         04 T85 00103
artist-		title - 	album - 	year - 	copyright -    catalogue #

SA 0 - Theme (open & close): Ray Bryant - After Hours - Alone at
Montreux
Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Jingle Bells - Jingle Bell Swing -
1993 - Sony  - 65997
The Heath Brothers - Our Little Town - God Rest Ye Merry Jazzmen - 1981
CBS - 37551
Jamie Cullum - Let It Snow - Let It Snow - 2004 - Universal - 1385
Rosemary Clooney - The Christmas Song  - White Christmas - 1996 -
Concord - 4719
Cyrus Chestnut and Friends - Linus & Lucy  - Charlie Brown Christmas -
2000 - Atlantic - 83366
Karrin Allyson - Coventry Carol - Concord Jazz Christmas - 1994 -
Concord - 4613
Ann Hampton Callaway - This Christmas - This Christmas - 1997 - N-Coded
- 4235
Freddy Cole - A Candle in Bethlehem - I Want A Smile For Christmas -
1994 - Videoarts - 9672
Bobby Rodriguez - Silent Night - A Latin Jazz Christmas - 1997 - JVC -
7504
Eastern Rebellion - It Came Upon A Midnight Clear - A Jazz Christmas -
1992 - MusicMasters - 65089
Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass - The Christmas Song - Big Band
Christmas - 1998 - Concord - 4844
(Hamilton and Pep - The Goof and I)

SA 1 -
Harry Allen - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer - Christmas in Swingtime -
2001 - BMG - 51409
Maureen McGovern - Santa Claus is Coming To Town - Christmas with -
1990 - CBS - 45869
Houston Person and Etta Jones - Frosty the Snowman - Together at
Christmas - 2000 - HighNote - 7058
Kenny Werner Trio - Peace - Live at Blue Note - 2004 - HalfNote -
0107445172
Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orch - A Child Is Born -  Consumation - 1970
Liberty - BST 84346 (LP)
Carmen Lundy - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Justin Time for
Christmas - 2004 - Justin Time - 197
Royce Campbell - We Three Kings - A Jazz Guitar Christmas - 2003 -
Royce Campbell - 1958
Don Lanphere (Marc Seales) - Deck the Hall - Year ‘Round Christmas -
1999 - OriginArts - 82373
Ricky Ford - Christmas Cheer - Tenor for the Times - 1981 - Muse - 5250
(Johnny Hodges - Good Queen Bess)

SA 2 -
Manhattan Transfer - Silent Night, Holy Night - Christmas Album - 1992
- Sony - 52968
Emily Remler - Snowfall - East To Wes - 1988 - Concord - 356
Dianne Reeves - Christ Child’s Lullaby - Christmas Time Is Here - 2004
- Blue Note - 73344
Bob Brookmeyer - Santa Claus Blues - Mosaic Select - 2004 - EMI - 9
Patricia Barber - Santa Claus is Coming To Town - Santa Claus Is Coming
To Town - 2000 - Capitol - NO CAT#
Ray Brown Trio - Away in the Manger - Christmas Songs - 1999 - Telarc -
83437
Tom Harrell - Christmas Song - Christmas Songs - 1993  - Fantasy - 9211
Betty Carter - Home for the Holidays - Jazz For Joy - 1996 - Verve -
531962
Les Brown - Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Joy of Christmas
Past - 1994 - MCA - 9796
Ella Fitzgerald - Christmas Island - A Swinging Christmas - 2002 -
Verve - 065086
Lionel Hampton - White Christmas - Jingle Bell Jazz - 1980 - CBS - 36803
(Major Holley - Blues for Alice)

SA 3 -
Jim Knapp Orchestra - Little Drummer Boy - Things for Now - 1999 - A -
73180
David Friesen/Jeannie Hoffman - Waiting For You At Christmas Time - The
Spirit of Christmas - NO YEAR - Burnside - 9
David Frishberg - Snowbound - Quality Time - 1994 - Dave Frishberg -
1006
Louis Armstrong with the Commanders - Zat You, Santa Claus - Santa
Claus Blues - 1988 - Jazz - 3
Count Basie - Good Morning Blues - Yule Be Miserable - 2003 - Verve -
1240
Jimmy Smith - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen - Christmas Cookin’ - 1992 -
PolyGram - 513711
Bill Evans - Santa Claus is Coming To Town (vocal!) - Unknown -
Unpublished Outtake
Paul Bley Trio - Santa Claus is Coming To Town - Christmas Collection -
1988 - Fantasy - 6011
Louis Prima - What Will Santa Claus Say When He Finds Everybody
Swinging? - Yule Be Swingin’ - 1998 - Universal - 40117
Kurt Elling - Cool Yule - Yule Be Boppin’ - 1997 - Capitol - 56991
Dave McKenna - Don’t Want No Blues This Christmas - Christmas Ivory -
1997 - Concord - 4772
Charles Brown - Merry Christmas Baby - Cool Christmas Blues - 1994 -
Rounder - 9561
Al Grey - Christmas Stocking Stuffer - Christmas Stocking Stuffer -
1992 - Capri - 74039
(Gerry Mulligan - Boplicity)

SA 4 -
Joe Pass - Happy Holiday Blues - Six String Santa - 1992 - Delta -15470
Gerry Mulligan - It Must Be Christmas - A Cabaret Christmas - 1993 -
DRG - 91415
Paquito D’Rivera - Explosion - Explosion - 1986 - CBS - 40156
Hans Teuber - Winter Waltz - Winter - 2002 - OriginArts - 82408
Karin Plato - Snow... - Snowflake Season - 2000 - Stikjazz - 3333
Charlie Parker - White Christmas - Complete Live Performances - 1998 -
Savoy - 17021
Dexter Godon - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Gid Rest ye
Merry, Jazzmen-  1981 CBS - 37551
Michael Franks - I Bought You a Plastic Star for Your Aluminum Tree -
Warner Bros. Christmas Jazz Party - 1997 - Warner - 46793
Ralph Moore - Sleigh Ride - Round Trip - 1987 - Reservoir - 104
Pete Jolly - It’s The Most Wondeful Time of the Year - Jazz Yule Love -
2002 Mack Avenue - MAC 1007
(Hamilton and Pep - Blues Up and Down)

SA 5 -
Organissimo - Christmas Time Is Here - 2004 Holiday Disc - 2004 - Jim
Alfredson
Joe Williams - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - That Holiday
Feelin’ -  1990 - PolyGram - 704
Willie Pickens - Christmas Waltz - A Jazz Christmas - 1998 - Southport
- 56
Primo Kim - A Cradle in Bethlehem - Christmas Tree - 2004 - Primo Kim -
6643340002
Oscar Peterson - Away In A Manger (Amer)- Christmas - 1995 - Telarc -
83372
George Shearing - Away in a Manger (Eng) - Santa’s Bag - 1994 - Telarc
- 83352
John Pizzarelli - Let’s Share Christmas - Let’s Share Christmas - 1996
- BMG - 66986
Ravens - White Christmas - Christmas Blues - 2003 - SLG - 17271
Carl Fontana/Al Cohn - Winter Wonderland - Uptown Christmas - 1990 -
Uptown - 2733
Nat King Cole - All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth -
Christmas For Kids - 2000 - Capitol - 27317
Duke Ellington - Nutracker Suite (excerpts) - Three Suites - 1990 - CBS
- 46825
(Sam Newsome - the Intimacy of the Blues)

SA 6 -
Celestial Navigations - The Train - Chapter II - 1989 - Dominion - 381
Terence Blanchard - Christmas Time Is Here - Siwng Into Christmas -
1995 - Sony - 67414
Darin Clendenin - Merry Christmas - Tidings of Joy and Jazz  - 2002 -
PonyBoy - 50133
Houston Person - Blue Christmas - Christmas With - 1994 - Muse - 5530
Ernestine Anderson - I Love Being Here With You - When the Sun Goes
Down - 1985 - Concord - 4263
Phil Woods Quintet - Gifts for Children - More Mistletoe Magic - NO YR
- Quicksilver - 4009
Maureen McGovern - Do You Know’s It’s Christmas - Christmas with - 1990
- CBS - 45869
Bobby Watson and Horizon - Vauncing Chimes - Yule Struttin’ - 1990 -
Capitol - 94857
Carla Cook - Do You Hear What I Hear? - MaxJazz Holiday - 2001 -
MaxJazz - 301
Don Lanphere - Let It Snow, Let It Snow - Year ‘Round Christmas - 1999
- OriginArts - 82373
(Theme)

JAZZ AFTER HOURS FOR SUNDAY, DECEMBER 26, 2004         04 T85 00104
artist-		title - 	album - 	year -     copyright -    catalogue #

SU 0 - Theme (open & close): Ray Bryant - After Hours - Alone at
Montreux
Claudio Roditi - Snow Samba - Gemini Man - 1988 - Fantasy - 9158  (LP)
Eddie Higgins - Sleigh Ride - By Request - 1986 - Statiras - 8079  (LP)
Ana Caram - Anos Dourados - Rio After Dark - 1989 - Chesky - 28
Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso w. Eliane Elias - Boas Festas - World
Christmas - 1996 - Special Olympics Intl - 36928
Laura Caviani - Angels We Haven’t Heard - Angels We Haven’t Heard -
1999 - Caviani - 835610001
Clark Terry - Ode to a Flugelhorn - Remember the Time - 1994 - Mons -
6458
Nat King Cole - Christmas Song - Christmas Song - 1999 - Capitol - 21251
Bob Dorough - Wouldn’t It Be Wonderful If Christmas Came - Reasons for
Christmas Project - 2003 - ? - 2598939482
Betty Carter - Look What I Got - Look What I Got - 1988 - PolyGram -
835661
Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass - Santa Claus Blues - Play the Jazz
Classics - 1997 - Concord - 4784
(John Coltrane - Blue Trane)

SU 1 -
Pete Escovedo/Ray Obiedo - Feliz Navidad - Playboy’s Latin Jazz
Christmas - 2001 - Concord - 7501
Tom Kubis Big Band - It Came Upon A Midnight Clear - A Jazz Musician’s
Christmas - 2002 - Sea Breeze - 2121
Nancy Wilson - Sweet Little Jesus Boy - Christmas - 2001 - MCG - 1008
MJQ - Skating in Central Park - Dedicated To Connie - 1995 - Atlantic -
82763
Stan Getz w. Laurindo Almeida - Winter Moon - 1963 - Verve - 8665
Dianne Reeves - This Time of the Year - Christmas Time Is Here - 2004 -
Capitol - 73344
David Fathead Newman - The Gift - The Gift - 2003 - HighNote - 7104
Joyce - See You In Rio - Music Inside - 1990 - PolyGram - 0501
Ray Brown Trio - Christmas Song - Christmas Songs  - 1999 - Telarc -
83437
Jane Ira Bloom / Fred Hersch - Winter of My Discontent - As One - 1985
- JMT - 850003
Quartett - Lonely Woman - No Secrets - 1988 - New Albion - 17
Oscar Peterson - O Christmas Tree - Christmas - 1995 - Telarc - 83372
(Clifford Brown - If I Love Again)

SU 2 -
Rob McConnell - Christmas Waltz - Big Band Christmas - 1998 Concord -
CCD 4844-2
Karin Plato - I Saw Three Ships - Snowflake Season - 2000 StikJazz -
KVP 3333
Celestial Navigations - The Mouse - Chapter II - 1989 Domninion - A
381-5
Johnny Guarnieri with Slam Stewart - Santa’s Secret - Christmas Blues -
2003 SLG - SVY 17271
Don Patterson - Merry Christmas Baby - The Christmas Collection -1988
Fantasy - OJC 6011
Joe Mooney - Have Another One, Not Me - Do You Long for Oolong - 1999
Hep - 63
Joshua Redman - Can A Good Thing Last Forever? - Elastic - Warner Bros
2002 - 9 48279-2
Blossom Dearie (& Bob Dorough) Two Sleepy People - Needlepoint Magic -
1979 Daffodil - BMD 105
Claudio Roditi - Christmas in Rio - Three For One- 2003 Nagel Heyer -
NH 2028
Joe Pass - Home for The Holidays - Six String Santa - 1992 Delta Music
- 15 470
Phil Woods - White Christmas - The Reasons for Christmas Project - 2003
- ? - 25989 39482
Loonis McGlohon and Friends - Up On The Housetop - A Christmas Memory -
1992 Audiophile - ACD 275
(Joshua Redman - Segment)

SU 3 -
Primo Kim - A Touch of Jo - Christmas Tree - 2004 Primo Kim RKK
Productions - 7 66433 40002 1
Abbey Lincoln - This Christmas - Jazz for Joy - 1996 Polygram - 314 531
960-2
Jack Sheldon / Barry Harris - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas -
An Uptown Christmas - 1990 Uptown - UPCD 27.33
Sauter-Finegan Orchestra - Moonlight Sleighride - Directions in Music -
1988 BMG - 6468-2-RB
Peter Leitch - It Came Upon A Midnight Clear - Red Zone - 1987
Reservoir - RSR 103
Ann Hampton Callaway - Baby, It’s Cold Outside - This Christmas - 2002
N-Coded - NC-4235-2
Eric Reed - Angels In The Snow - Merry Magic - 2003 MaxJazz - MXJ 302
Mike Allen - Let Your Heart Sing - Fearless - 2004 Almus Jazz - ALM
12552
Bill Ramsay’s Hipshakers - Thaddeus -  (unpublished live recording @
Tula’s 2004 )
Maria Schneider - Choro Dançado from Three Romances - Concert In The
Garden - 2004 Maria Schneider - ArtistShare 0001
(Erroll Garner - Undecided)

SU 4 -
Peter Leitch - Winter’s Tale - Trio/ Quarrtet ‘91 - 1991 Concord Jazz -
CCD 4480
Adam Makowicz Trio - Winterlight - Interface - 1987 Sonet - SNTF 963
(LP)
Ruth Cameron - Happiness Is Just A Thing Called Joe - Roadhouse - 2004
Universal Jazz France -  314 549 100-2
Kenny Drew Jr. - It’s Love It’s Christmas - This One’s For Bill - 2000
TCB - 99352
Katrine Madsen - Magic Night - Magic Night - 2002 Family Music - Music
Mecca 3090-2
Wayne Shorter (Miles Davis) - Footprints - Footprints - 2004 Sony BMG
Music - CwK 89150
Ken Nordine - Winter Sketch - Grandson of Word Jazz - 1986 Snail - SR
1003   (LP)
Bill Smith - Greensleeves - The Christmas Collection - 1988 Fantasy -
OJC 6011  (LP)
Claudio Roditi - Light In The Dark - Light In The Dark - 2004 Nagel
Heyer - 2047
(Joe Pass - Giant Steps)

SU 5 -
Eric Alexander - Search for Peace - Dead Center - 2004 HighNote - 7131
Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring - You Must Believe In Spring-
1981Warner Bros - 3504-2
Phil Woods - Stockholm Sweetnin’ - This is How I Feel About Quiincy -
2004 Jazzed Media 0 JM 1004
David Friesen/ Jeannie Hoffman - Sentimental ‘Round Christmas - The
Spirit of Christmas - (date unknown) - Burnside - BCD 0009-2
Joe Williams - What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve? - That Holiday
Feelin’ - 1990 Polygram - 843 956-2
Duke Ellington - Melancholia - Piano Reflections - 1989 Capitol - 7
92863-2
Norah Jones - Don’t Miss You All - Feels Like Home - 7243 5 84800 0 9
Duke Ellington - Wanderlust - The Duke’s Men - 1993 sony Music - C2K
48835
Duke Ellington - December Blue - Piano Revlections - 1989 Capitol - 7
92863-2
Freddy Cole - Jack Frost Snow - I Want A Smile For Christmas - 1994
Videoarts Music - FCD 9672-2
Darin Clendenin - Winter Wonderland - Tidings of Joy and Jazz - 2002
Pony Boy - 50133
Dick Hyman - Snowy Morning Blues - Jelly and James - 1974, 1975 Sony
Music - MDK 52552
(Gil Evans - Lester Leaps In)

SU 6 -
Don Pullen - We’ve Been Here All Along - Mosaic Select 13 - 2004 EMI -
MS 013
Harry Allen - Let It Snow, Let It Snow - Christmas in Swingtime - 2001
BMG Funhouse - KOC CD 51409
Louie Bellson - Mele Kalikimaka - Air Bellson - 1997 Concord Jazz - CCD
4742-2
Valery Ponomarev - Russian Christmas Song - Means of Identification -
1993 Reservooir - RSR CD 101
Jane Bunnett - Divule Oni - Red Dragonfly - 2004 Bunnett Cramer - 70876
18735 2 8
The Swingle Singers - Tango In D - Retrospective - 2004 Primarily A
Cappella - PAC 4530
Jim Hall - João - Dedications & Inspirations - 1994 Telarc - 83365
Charlie Haden/ Pat Metheny - The Moon Song - Beyond the Missouri Sky -
1997 Polydor/PolyGram - 731453 71302 4
Eddie Henderson - Tender You - Time & Spaces - 2004 Sirocco Music - SJL
1027
Houston Person - Our First Christmas - Christmas with Houston Person
and Friends - 1994 Muse - 5530
(Theme)