[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 12/24/04

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Dec 25 00:12:08 EST 2004

Jazz from Studio Four
Friday, Dec 24, 7pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

About this broadcast:
FINAL BARS / PAYING TRIBUTE TO SOME OF THE MUSICIANS WHO DIED IN 2004
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

7:00pm
Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

7:06pm
James Williams: Spiritual Medley, Live at Maybeck (Concord)
James Williams and ICU: On His Word, Truth, Justice and The Blues (Evidence)

7:30pm
Elvin Jones: Just Us Blues, Illumination (Impulse)
Steve Lacy w. Elvin Jones: Bye-Ya, Reflections (New Jazz)
Steve Lacy: In A Sentimental Mood, 10 of Dukes (Senators Records)

7:47pm
Arthur Blythe: Come Sunday, Exhale (Savant)
The Trumpeteers: Milky White Way, Milky White Way (Gospel Jubilee Records)
Huddie Ledbetter: A Christmas Day, Leadbelly (Capitol LP)
Jimmy Scott: Take My Hand, Precious Lord, But Beautiful (Milestone)

8:08pm
Illinois Jacquet: Desert Winds, Desert Winds (Argo/Verve)
Illinois Jacquet: Pastel, Flying Home (Verve)
Malachi Favors w. The Ritual Trio: Golden Sea,
Renaissance of the Resistance (Delmark)

8:27pm
Lord Buckley: The Nazz, His Royal Hipness` (Discovery)
Wycliffe Gordon: All Day Long, Sang My Song, Going Home,
In The Cross (Criss Cross)

8:45pm
Pete Jolly: It's The Most Womderful Night of The Year, Jazz Yule Love (Mack
Avenue)
Ray Charles: Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying, The Genius Of Ray Charles
(Atlantic)
Barney Kessel: I'm Glad There Is You, Kessel Plays for Lovers (Contemporary)

9:02pm
Five Blind Boys of Alabama: A Voice Foretold, Gospel At Colonus (Elektra)
Aaron Neville: Ave Maria, Warm Your Heart (A&M)
The Soul Stirrers: Jesus Gave Me Water, Jesus Gave Me Water (Specialty)
Irma Thomas: Ask What You Will, Walk Around Heaven (Rounder)

9:26pm
Jackie Paris: The Girl That Got Away,
The Lyrics of Ira Gershwin (Time Records)
Jackie Paris: Skylark, Skylark (Brunswick)
Jackie Paris: But Beautiful, Nobody Else But me (Audiophile)

9:43pm
Don Pullen: Ode To Life, The Best of Don Pullen (Blue Note)
George Adams / Don Pullen Quartet: His Eye is On The Sparrow,
Decisions (Timeless)
Charlie Haden / Hank Jones: Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen,
Steal Away (Verve)

10:06pm
Stan Freeberg: Green Xmas, Stan Freeberg (Capitol)
Lambert, Hendricks and Ross: With Malice Towards None,
The Hottest New Group in Jazz (Columbia)
Gary Bartz: The Song of Loving Kindness, The Blues Chronicles (Atlantic)

10:27pm
Freddie Gambrell aka Federico Cervantes: Lullaby of The Leaves; Reservation
Blues; These Foolish Things, The Chico Hamilton Trio (World Pacific LP)

10:45pm
Ella Johnson: Please Mr Johnson; Without The One You Love; Stand Back and
Smile, Buddy Johnson 1939-1942 (Classics)

10:53pm
Etta Jones: Merry Christmas, Baby, Jazz For A Christmas Present (Savoy)
Little Esther w. Johnny Otis: Far Away Christmas Blues,
Christmas Blues (Savoy)
Etta James: Silent Night, 12 Songs of Christmas (Private Music)

11:12pm
John LaPorta: Tribute to Bird; Concertina for Clarinet,
Theme and Variations (Fantasy)
John LaPorta with Charles Mingus: Purple Heart, Timeless (Savoy)

11:26pm
Walter Perkins' MJT+3: Richie's Dilemma, Make Everybody Happy (Vee Jazz)
Art Farmer Quartet featuring Walter Perkins: My Little Suede Shoes,
Interaction (Atlantic)

11:40pm
Claude "Fiddler" Williams: The Preacher, Swingin' The Blues (Bullseye)
Archie Shepp and Horace Parlan: Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,
Goin' Home (Steeplechase)
Bill Evans: Peace Piece, Bill Evans jazz Showcase (Riverside)

11:55pm
James Williams: Walk with Me, Music for A While (Finas Music)

END