[JPL] Artie Shaw @ IAJE

Thomas Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Dec 31 14:07:51 EST 2004

Re: Artie Shaw:
On the eve of our convention next week, I was reminded of Shaw's address at the last IAJE in Long Beach in 2002 and mentioned it in my memorial remarks last night.
What refreshing candor!  Healthy ego!  Vivid memories of Lady Day, Little Jazz, Hot Lips Page, BG, et.al.!  I love this music for its great storytellers, those who, in Lester Young's phrase, "tell a story" on their horns, and those like the brilliant clarinetist Shaw who are gifted raconteurs as well.
May we encourage more of the same from IAJE.

Happy New Year!

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Thursday, 8 p.m.-Midnight