[JPL] Programming limited to name recognition

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Thu Jul 1 10:54:04 EDT 2004

I recently received this reply from a station to one of my "weekly e-track"
emails:

"We're not a new releases format, and artists who have no name recognition
or connections to (our) listening area are a hard sell for our programming."

I thought the purpose of programming a station was to bring to the audience
the best music available.  I have a problem with grasping the logic of
limiting the selection to artists that you believe your listeners already
know, or that have geographic roots, or to previously released material.

Comments?

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood