[JPL] Programming limited to name recognition

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 10:36:22 EDT 2004

Doc, in jazz broadcasting that's one of the most ridiculous and selfish things that could happen to programming. Unfortunately it's a reality with some. From my perspective decisions for what gets programmed should be based firstly on the quality of musical content - not who's playing it. If Joshua Redman puts out a great recording it will get played. So should John Stetch, Tomasz Stanko, Matthew Von Doran, etc....because they're making great music. This is what will keep the pulse in jazz - particularly live jazz. This will obviously help familiarize folk with new artists that also happen to be great musicians and hopefully expanding the incredibly narrow list of jazz artists that get the opportunity to perform in high profile situations. Perhaps this particular programmer doesn't realize that the days of the "instrumental jazz star" are over.

Jae Sinnett

"Dr. Jazz" <drjazz at drjazz.com> wrote:
provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

I recently received this reply from a station to one of my "weekly e-track"
emails:

"We're not a new releases format, and artists who have no name recognition
or connections to (our) listening area are a hard sell for our programming."

I thought the purpose of programming a station was to bring to the audience
the best music available. I have a problem with grasping the logic of
limiting the selection to artists that you believe your listeners already
know, or that have geographic roots, or to previously released material.

Comments?

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood
Oak Park, MI 48237
(248) 542-7888
http://www.drjazz.com
This week's sponsor is : Concord Records

Going for adds and spins!

Karrin Allyson - Wild For You

One of the most lauded voices in jazz today and, not coincidentally, a true artist who views the spirit of jazz as a license to let her boundless creativity run wild and free, not as a cage of arbitrary limits-the always-adventurous and engaging Karrin Allyson now presents an entire album of the songs she "grew up with."

These are the songs that inspired the Grammy¨-nominated vocalist to sing in the first place-the now-classic pop gems by such singer-songwriters as Elton John, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, James Taylor and others.

Artfully restyled by her unmistakable alto voice, Karrin's favorite songs are utterly transformed and unleashed by her untamed passion and unbridled artistry.

Radio Promotion:
Jane Purcell Dashow
jazzzdog promotions
212-679-1445