[JPL] Programming limited to name recognition

John Simna jsimna at wclv.com
Fri Jul 2 10:02:38 EDT 2004

Dr. et al

The obvious point is that if you limit what you do to the
already-established artists, in the long run you're relegating yourself to
oblivion.  I actually work in three formats - classical, "classic American
Pops" (singers, big bands and so on) and my weekly jazz program.  Both
classical and popular tend to be rather conservative, to say the least, but
even there, mixed in with the standard composers and performers, we try to
find something that will appeal to our audiences.  Yes, they want to hear
Tchaikovsky, but they are also exposed to at least a smattering of newer
music, adn sometimes there is an unexpected positive reaction.  In the pops
area, yes, we play lots of Sinatra, Glenn Miller and so on, but newer
performers and lesser-known ones get in as well - Diana Krall and Johnny
Hartman, Steve Tyrell and Freddie Cole for some contrasts.

In terms of the harder jazz program, I may skew more towards newer
performers and lesser-known lights.  I feel very strongly that there's a lot
more music that deserves to be heard - high quality music being produced
locally, whether that means here in Cleveland or anywhere else across the
country.  Yes, the classic performances need to be heard, to set standards
for what follows.  But without new contributions, the audience for the
classics, in whatever form, will only die off - or worse, lose interest and
move off to something else.

John Simna
jsimna at wclv.com