[JPL] Programming limited to name recognition

Francois Zalacain sunnyside at attglobal.net
Fri Jul 2 12:09:04 EDT 2004

Dear Dr.,
In France we had Hugues Panassié (President of the Hot Club de France)
who had decided that jazz innovation had ended around 1940. For
Panassié, Charlie Parker was evil, Klook could not hold a pair of
sticks, and Dizzy was a clown. When Ellington played with Mingus and Max
he had a heart attack, the end of the world was close.
Panassié had a musical rational in his choices. Your radio censor has
marketing (name recognition) and political (connection to the listening
area) rationales when deciding what to program.
It will help us (independent record labels with limited marketing
resources), to know which radio stations will not play our upcoming Tony
Malaby release. It will save us about $8 per station, maybe $400 to $800
dollars savings that we can allocate to our next Guillermo Klein
release. Sorry, I forgot, Guillermo is from Argentina and has no name
recognition.
Don't be discouraged Dr. continue to promote the music.
Francois Zalacain
Sunnyside Records