[JPL] creating name recognition & standards

Jackson, Bobby bjackson at wcpn.org
Tue Jul 6 18:31:16 EDT 2004

Juan Carlos,

Excellent!  I loved your comments!!

Hope all is well with you.......

Saludos,

Bobby Jackson
WCPN-FM
Cleveland, OH

Juan Carlos wrote......

What an interesting thread...!

Being outside the U.S (and Europe), I have to rely on the magazines
(and your playlists here) to determine what could be interesting for
my audience to hear.

But I?ve began to realize that sometimes the "Big Names" are just the
result of media campaigns and that many times the hype does not fit
the actual music works in terms of quality and substance.

While shopping music in the U.S, I?ve gone after those names
presented in the trade magazines whose music is not available at the
local stores in Colombia, but I?ve found real jewels in the  releases
that small labels and independent promoters are sending me.

I felt the same way during the IAJE conference in New York : some big
name concerts were rather a disappointment while many little known
artists (to me), were stellar and inspiring.

I was even thinking about posting a related topic here : The trade
magazines.

Do you rely on them to devise your programming ? Do you trust them ?
Which do you prefer ? JazzTimes ? Jazziz ? Downbeat ?
Are they useful for your programming work ? Do you read them at all ?

Saludos

Juan Carlos Valencia
UN Radio. 98.5 FM
Bogota. Colombia

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
This week's sponsor is : Concord Records

Going for adds and spins!

Karrin Allyson - Wild For You

One of the most lauded voices in jazz today and, not coincidentally, a true artist who views the spirit of jazz as a license to let her boundless creativity run wild and free, not as a cage of arbitrary limits-the always-adventurous and engaging Karrin Allyson now presents an entire album of the songs she "grew up with."

These are the songs that inspired the Grammy?-nominated vocalist to sing in the first place-the now-classic pop gems by such singer-songwriters as Elton John, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, James Taylor and others.

Artfully restyled by her unmistakable alto voice, Karrin's favorite songs are utterly transformed and unleashed by her untamed passion and unbridled artistry.

Radio Promotion:
Jane Purcell Dashow
jazzzdog promotions
212-679-1445