[JPL] Ben Riley/ Philly Jo Jones

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 09:54:15 EDT 2004

Hi Jon. There's a plethora of material out with both of these masters as I'm sure you know but some of my favorites with Ben would of course be any of his great work with Monk and the quintet with Johnny Griffin and Eddie Lockjaw Davis from the early sixties. "Griff and Lock" I think was the title of one of those great recordings.

As for Philly.....whew, that's a tough one but here's some I would suggest......."Newk's Time" by Sonny Rollins. Philly is killin on this one. "Milestones" is his masterpiece with Miles. "Goin Up" by Freddie Hubbard. I do believe this was Freddie's first recording as a leader and "Showcase" by Philly himself on Riverside. These would be a few I would recommend out of many. Good luck with the show.

Jae Sinnett

Bright Moments w/ Jon Hammond <bmwjonhammond at yahoo.com> wrote:
provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

Hello-

This week marks the birthdays of two wonderful
drummers- Philly Jo Jones and Ben Riley. Gotta spin
some of their stuff this week to recognize them.

Rather than spend 10 hours listening, thought I'd seek
some help in finding tunes that best showcase these
two gentlemen's work.

Anyone? Bueller?

Your help is appreciated.

THANKS!!

Jon

=====
Bright Moments with Jon Hammond
90.3 FM WRIU
Thursday Mornings, 5:30- 8 A.M. (EST)

Listen on the web: http://131.128.160.161:8000/listen.pls.

For Playlists & More:
http://www.wriu.org/brightmoments/index.html

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
This week's sponsor is : Concord Records

Going for adds and spins!

Karrin Allyson - Wild For You

One of the most lauded voices in jazz today and, not coincidentally, a true artist who views the spirit of jazz as a license to let her boundless creativity run wild and free, not as a cage of arbitrary limits-the always-adventurous and engaging Karrin Allyson now presents an entire album of the songs she "grew up with."

These are the songs that inspired the Grammy¨-nominated vocalist to sing in the first place-the now-classic pop gems by such singer-songwriters as Elton John, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, James Taylor and others.

Artfully restyled by her unmistakable alto voice, Karrin's favorite songs are utterly transformed and unleashed by her untamed passion and unbridled artistry.

Radio Promotion:
Jane Purcell Dashow
jazzzdog promotions
212-679-1445