[JPL] Y Los Piratas Del Flamenco!

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 15:09:51 EDT 2004

I concur. A very deep introspective recording.

Eric, if you're into the "palmas," check out Vince Mendoza/Afif Mardin's "Jazz Pana." Rarely have I heard it ultilized at this level.

Jae Sinnett

Garrett Shelton <sunnyside-gs at attglobal.net> wrote:
provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

Thanks for giving props to 3 of our records! I apologize if I that was a
weird e-mail I sent yesterday by the way, nothing ill was intended by it.
Just couldn't resist. Thanks again for the mentions.

-G

> From: "Eric Hines"
> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:24:12 -0400
> Subject: RE: [JPL] Y Los Piratas Del Flamenco!
>
> Big second (third?) on the Gonzalez rec. There's a bunch of interesting
> musical activity going on in Spain, it seems.
>
> Chano Domiguez and Jerry worked on the Martirio discs which got a lot of
> positive response here, and Chano's recent disc had some really interesting
> stuff on it as well.
>
> I especially enjoy the incorporation of palmas (driving polyrhythmic clapping)
> on some of the pieces on these albums.
>
> Great, fresh-sounding stuff.
>
> --eric
>

> Eric Hines
> General Manager
> WNMC-FM
> http://www.wnmc.org
> 1701 East Front St.
> Traverse City, MI 49686
>
> 231-995-2562
> provided by Yellow Dog Communications, Inc.
> For more information visit us at http://jpl.yellowdog.com
> To become a sponsor contact Tony Gasparre
> at tony at yellowdog.com or 585-235-4685.

> Garrett wrote.......
>
> "One of the most exciting things happening right now here at Sunnyside is the
> UNBELIEVABLE success that we're having with Jerry Gonzalez y Los Piratas del
> Flamenco on Apple iTunes. All last week, the record was the TOP TEN best
> sellers list - along side Krall, Cullum, Trane, Ellington, etc. For those of
> you that don't use iTunes yet, the tastes of the consumers there tend to be
> on the safe side. So for this to happen with Jerry's record is quite
> remarkable. You have to spend time with this record - it is quite georgeous
> and rewarding on all levels. It was released in Europe last year and fans of
> Jerry's and El Cigala's have been waiting for this release."
>
> What a fabulous recording!
>
> Black Beans and Ricely Yours,
>
> Bobby Jackson
> WCPN-FM
> Cleveland, OH

> This week's sponsor is : Concord Records

> Going for adds and spins!
>
> Karrin Allyson - Wild For You
>
> One of the most lauded voices in jazz today and, not coincidentally, a true
> artist who views the spirit of jazz as a license to let her boundless
> creativity run wild and free, not as a cage of arbitrary limits-the
> always-adventurous and engaging Karrin Allyson now presents an entire album of
> the songs she "grew up with."
>
> These are the songs that inspired the Grammy¨-nominated vocalist to sing in
> the first place-the now-classic pop gems by such singer-songwriters as Elton
> John, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens,
> James Taylor and others.
>
> Artfully restyled by her unmistakable alto voice, Karrin's favorite songs are
> utterly transformed and unleashed by her untamed passion and unbridled
> artistry.
>

> Radio Promotion:
> Jane Purcell Dashow
> [...]

This week's sponsor is : The JazzWeek Shop!

Shop at the JazzWeek Shop for jazz books, music, videos and JazzWeek clothing. All purchases help support JazzWeek, musicians and authors. You can also subscribe to weekly e-mail newsletters from JazzWeek with links to buy the top CDs most heard Jazz and Smooth Jazz Radio.

We have NEW JazzWeek gear. Show your support by wearing JazzWeek. Hats, shirts and jerseys are marked down for a limited time. Speaking of limited; we have special new color shirts, a value priced t-shirt, something for your baby and your pooch!

Go to : http://www.jazzweek.com/shop