[JPL] James Williams has died

Jeff Turton jturton at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 17:54:48 EDT 2004

My goodness, not the best way to start the day. First seeing Bobby's
query and then getting the e-mail from Eric a little bit later was just
devastating. It's been a tough year already and now this. I've had to
spend the last couple of days redoing my resume, which hadn't been
updated for 18 years, so I have found myself spending time thinking
about a lot of events from the past and James was prominent in my mind.
He was so much a part of my life in the late 70's and throughout the
80's. There was actually a stretch in the mid-90's when the only time I
saw him was in airports. I'd miss him in Boston and then I'd be
changing planes in places like Atlanta, Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis
and who did I always run in to, James. We had some good laughs over the
situation. I had just seen him a few months ago and we had a great time
hanging out before and between sets. He looked fine but then again I
doubt he would have admitted anything was wrong. It just wasn't his
style. There are many wonderful folks in this community both past and
present, James was one of the finest. He always had a smile on his face
and he was always such a positive presence. He lit up the room when he
walked in,  in a very unassuming way. Fortunately he left us with an
amazing musical legacy, so he will never be far from our thoughts.

RIP James