[JPL] James Williams

lois lois at jazzcorner.com
Wed Jul 21 01:22:37 EDT 2004

James Williams died July 20 at 7am at New York University Hospital,  He
had been diagnosed with liver cancer in the last few months.  He was 53.
He is survived by his nephew drummer, Tony Reedus and 2 brothers and
countless fans and friends.  I am so blessed to have had James as a
friend and so honored that he made his website home as part of
jazzcorner at http://jameswilliamspiano.com

James had a knack of finding the best in people and striving to help
people find the best in themselves.   Beyond James' massive talent, he
took the responsibility that he learned from Art Blakey and Phineas
Newborn of carrying on the tradition and adding to it very seriously but
not somberly.  He was a teacher to everyone that came into contact with
him.  In fact, he taught me a life lesson in the last few weeks about
dignity, respect and grace. Those of us who have been touched by him
personally or his music are all better people for knowing him. He was
one of the most generous and supportive musicians in our generation or
any generation.

Lois Gilbert
jazzcorner.com