[JPL] Roseanna Vitro/JoAnne Brackeen= double delight

Arturo Gomez arturo893 at qwest.net
Thu Jul 22 10:04:15 EDT 2004

Wednesday afternoon on my weekday noon-hour shift,  Lunchtime At The Oasis,
I had the pleasure of having both Roseanne Vitro and JoAnne Brackeen as my
in-studio guests. They performed later that evening at Mt. Vernon Country
Club, one of the best rooms to experience jaz z in the nation. Mt Vernon is
an "old-fashioned" jazz supper club with fine acoustics and a fabulous view
of Denver from its location high above the Mile High City.

JoAnne is a gifted pianist who opened the set with a few songs with the band
and in the middle of the set, Roseanna laid out for a few more numbers led
by JoAnne, the first and only female to be a member of Art Blakey's Jazz
Messengers.  My most surprising moments by JoAnne were her comping and
accompaniment in general of the other soloists and Roseanne's vocal
stylings. Not just the same old tried and true vamps, JoAnne was extremely
imaginative and her solos brought the packed house down!

Roseanna did it all, she mostly sang from her latest tropical Postcards CD
songlist as well as selected tracks from her others albums in addition to
improvised tunes to let the band, made up of locals, stretch out. One of the
highlights was Roseanna and bassist Kenny Walker, the Front Range's finest
bass man, trading fours in an improvised romp that had both matching the
increasing intensity of their solos. Quite tasty!

Roseanna play Yoshi's this weekend and will visit our coleague, Chuy Varela
at KCSM on Sunday afternoon during Jesse's Latin Jazz shift. JoAnne returns
to New York.

Arturo Gómez
Jazz 89, KUVO