[JPL] women messengers?

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 23:59:01 EDT 2004

Joanne is one of the great ones, but does anyone know anything about Laverne
Baker (not the R&B singer), who played bass on Blakey's first recording as a
leader of the Jazz Messengers (from 1947 re-issued under the title "New
Sounds")? I suppose it's possible that Laverne is a man, but that would be a
heavy cross to bear.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM