[JPL] The Jazz Week Ahead at SIRIUS: Gary Burton, Charlie Christian, Hank Jones & more

Abramovitz Matt mabramovitz at siriusradio.com
Tue Jul 27 11:26:57 EDT 2004

SIRIUS broadcasts direct from the JVC Jazz Festival at Newport, RI on August 14-15!

Guest DJs:  Gary Burton & Julian Lage (July 28)
[Pure Jazz/72]
Vibraphonist and SIRIUS subscriber Gary Burton presents his most recent album Generations (Concord), with guitar wunderkind and co-host Julian Lage.

Guitar Pioneer:  Charlie Christian (July 29)
[Swing Street/73]
Charlie Christian set the standard for the electric guitar when the instrument was still in its infancy.  Even after his untimely death at the age of 25 in 1942, his swinging sound served as a benchmark for players like Wes Montgomery, Barney Kessel, and George Benson.  You'll hear this musical pioneer every hour of the day as we celebrate the 88th anniversary of his birth.

Charles Lloyd on Jazz Profiles (July 30-31)
[NPR Now/106]
Tenor saxophonist Charles Lloyd described himself as "a blues man trying to sing a spiritual song." He was an influential player in the West Coast jazz scene of the 1950s and '60s, and later central to New York's ground-breaking jazz movement. Hear his story Friday at 11 p.m. ET, repeated on Saturday at 9 p.m. ET.

Hank Jones 86th Birthday Broadcast (July 31)
[Pure Jazz/72]
Few pianists possess the musical elegance and sophistication of Hank Jones.  James Browne celebrates the eldest of the Jones brothers, with highlights from his long career a superlative soloist and accompanist.  Don't miss this salute to a living legend starting at 6 p.m. ET.

Blame It On My Youth:  New Singers Weekend (July 31-August 1)
[Standard Time/75]
We dedicate this weekend to the young artists breathing new life into the Great American Songbook.  Expect fresh interpretations from Michael Bublè, Peter Cincotti, Renee Olstead, and more.

And congratulations to Catherine Wilcox of Olathe, Kansas, the winner of our Summer Getaway to Newport contest.  SIRIUS broadcasts direct from the festival on August 14 & 15.  For more information go to: <http://www.sirius.com/>.