[JPL] D-Lovely, a D'must see

JanLeder at aol.com JanLeder at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 12:04:34 EDT 2004

Arturo,

You said:

"Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and all the Tin Pan Alley composers owe the
popularity and longevity of their pop songs to jazz, those songs would have been
long-forgotten if not reworked by jazz musicians and become standards. "

I haven't seen this movie however I do feel compelled to respond.

While I understand and agree that jazz musicians are responsible for keeping
some of the great standards alive today (I play them just about every day in
performance), is it also possible that we jazz musicians owe something to the
great songwriters for creating such beautiful harmonies on which to improvise?

Also, I disagree that these songs would be long-forgotten.  Film keeps the
songs alive as much as living musicians do, and had as much to do with many of
the songs' initial popularity.

Any good song (of any genre) will long outlive its creator(s), no matter who
"covers" the tune - it will live on.  (I can think of some rock and certainly
r&b tunes that have long, long lives ahead of them as well.)  For instance,
when I play "It Had To Be You" everyone, young and old, knows it.   Don't
underestimate the power of a good song: it can cross age and race and cultural
differences, it will remain in peoples' memories longer than most other information
they get in their lives (they seem to reside in a different part of the
brain), and can easily live long beyond the life of its creator.  I know my kids
will be singing my songs into their old age, and maybe they'll teach them to
their kids, who know?