[JPL] D-Lovely, a D'must see

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 10:18:49 EDT 2004

I'll second the nomination.   I saw it a couple of weeks ago and it
inspired at least a couple of sets of all-Cole Porter songs on my show.
  Funny thing is, now I have a little scene (from the film)  play in my
head when I hear some of these songs.   Excellent cast, sound and
cinematography and an interesting story-telling device for the
screenplay.

Parts of it were a little hokie, but most of it had an authentic feel,
except of course the integrated cast which is expected today but
unimaginable in the 30s. And Elvis Costello is not at his best when
he's trying to be "jazzy",  just over the top. The scenes between Kevin
Kline and Ashley Jud as Mrs.Porter were touching glimpses of a complex
relationship. The film provides more than a  little insight into
songwriting and how personal stories become woven into songs.

There are several jazz collections of Cole Porter tunes... eg.The Jazz
Giants Play Cole Porter (Prestige), and the new "It's De Lovely"
collection from RCA which includes two songs sung by Cole Porter (!)
with new accompaniment by Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks as well as
Porter tunes by Artie Shaw, Lena Horne, Sinatra, Coleman Hawkins, Sonny
Rollins, and both Shorty and Roy Rogers - how often have THEY appeared
on the same album?

Oh, here's a little aside re: Elvis and DK (both appear in "De
Lovely".)   Diana just played a couple of concerts here over the
weekend at a sizeable outdoor venue at Chateau Ste.Michelle Winery near
Seattle.  The first show sold out quickly, a second show was added and
also sold out quickly.  I wasn't able to attend, but the reviewer (Paul
de Barros) reported she was "laid-back, more expressive vocally and
clearly comfortable with herself... "  and her more informal
dressed-down style (jeans, high heels and print blouse) "..seemed to
say, 'Hey, relax. It's only music.' "   She sang and played some songs
from the new CD of course, but also did some standards with her quartet
including the outstanding Anthony Wilson, Robert Hurst and Peter
Erskine.

And here's a perfect DK scene from the de Barros review in the Seattle
Times:  " When the wine spiked crowd repeatedly shouted requests for
their new songs, she said good-naturedly, 'Hey, this is my show!  When
he plays here will you yell my name?  Not bloody likely!' "

The complete review is at
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/
2001988283_krall26.html

Jim Wilke