[JPL] Stewart "Dirk" Fischer

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 17:56:33 EDT 2004

Hello everyone. For lovers of large ensemble writing and arranging the Sea Breeze release - "George Stone and Friends Perform the Music of Stewart "Dirk" Fischer," is the sleeper of the year. What fantastic writing and arranging this is and it's beautifully recorded - although I would be more than happy to lend the drummer one of my snares the next time he records :>) Top tracks for me would be #1,2,4,7 and 9. If you haven't had a chance to listen - do so because simply put, it's great jazz music. It's also great to hear the influence of his brother Clare on several of these tracks. The cover border lines creepy looking - like the photo was taken in an Arnold Schoenberg master class on the Structural Functions of Harmony in 1954. However, don't judge the proverbial book by its cover in this case.

Jae Sinnett