[JPL] webcam in studio

Arturo Gomez arturo893 at qwest.net
Fri Jul 30 12:44:26 EDT 2004

I am not sure if my successor at WDNA, Mike Valentine will chime in on this
so here's my reply for Jae,

While I was at WDNA our production manager and computer whiz opted to place
a live web cam in the studio and within 2 weeks it became the number one
most "hit" page of WDNA's web site, by far. It has kept its number position
since its inception, now over 3 years strong.
While at WDNA we noticed it had far more hits than those listening on-line,
our conclusion:
those listening over-the-air would also be viewing the studio. Perhaps
others were logging on to the webcam feature but were not jazz or WDNA's
specialty shows' music, voyeurism if you wish. :>) .

It became a valuable tool during visits by musicians and others during
interviews as they could be seen as well as heard.. One of my first
suggestions upon my arrival at KUVO, 15 months ago was to begin using a
webcam in our studios and it has met with some resistance but eventually it
is going to happen here as well. I think it's a wonderful asset and one has
no need to worry about any "invasion of privacy" issues, just be careful
where you place your fingers while on the air within webcam range.

Arturo Gómez
Jazz 89, KUVO