[JPL] Larry's Tin Pan Alley Comments.

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 11:06:02 EDT 2004

I already deleted the email so I can't respond directly but I believe
Larry from WPFW in DC made a comment about Tin Pan Alley. Here's a quote
that I have in my notes.

"In the two decades that followed the publication of "Maple Leaf Rag"
(1899), the dominant musical forms (as revealed by this study, at any
rate) were rags, blues, and popular songs, many of them composed by black
musicians. Between 1920 and 1924, Tin Pan Alley made a stronger impact on
the jazz tradition, with blues songs becoming especially fashionable. In
the next five years (1925 -1929), Broadway gained somewhat on Tin Pan
Alley in producing new jazz standards, while rags and new blues songs
virtually dropped out of the picture. After 1930, the rags and blues being
recorded were almost exclusively older ones. Jazz musicians took up some
new Tin Pan Alley and show tunes (including "I Got Rhythm"); but almost
half of the new favorites originated inside the folk or jazz traditions -
the latter especially in the form of pieces by leaders of the popular
swing bands."

CBMR Monographs, No. 4 Jazz Standards on Record, 1900-1942: A Core
Repertory
by Richard Crawford and Jeffrey Magee

CBMR stands for the Center For Black Music Research. They are located on
the campus of Columbia College in Chicago. www.cbmr.org

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston 89.7
Mon. - Thurs 7 PM - Mid.