[JPL] Thanks, WEMU Fund Drive

lyohn at emich.edu lyohn at emich.edu
Sun Apr 10 10:38:52 EDT 2005

Good morning friends,

I've owed Ed & Tad a public thanks for the article about WEMU and me in
JazzWeek for a while, but I was preoccupied in preparing for our spring
fund drive.  Gentlemen:  Thank You!

This past week was a BIG one for WEMU.  We reached our financial goal
for our spring on-air fundraiser in record time.  We did it in seven
days!  Sometimes it has taken us as many as 11 days to do it.  We have
many reasons for this success, which I'd love to talk about at the
JazzWeek Summit.

Some of the reasons for the success might be luck, but we all know the
real reason is programming.  More than ever, we have been thinking
about what we play and what we say. Great content is clouded by poor
form, so we are working on our form to complement our content.

I hope to provide some hefty content in the next three weeks for "Jazz
Appreciation Month".  I'll interview Penny M. VonEschen, author of
"Satchmo Blows Up The World", a fascinating study of jazz and the State
Department Tours of the 1950s through early 1970s.  I'm working on a
produced feature about a new jazz book for kids and lining up interviews
with folks who lived in Ann Arbor and Detroit in the 1940s, '50s
and '60s.  I'll give my final talk in 2005 about jazz at the Ypsilanti
District Library focusing on younger musicians.

Those are my plans.  I have to share two wonderful recent interview
experiences of the past two weeks.  Although I generally do not care to
do telephone interviews for audio quality reasons, I made an exception
for a ten minute telephone call with John Edward Hasse,Curator Of
American Music at the Smithsonian Institution.  We talked about Jazz
Appreciation Month.  His assessment of what we can learn from
listening to jazz was eloquent and honest.  I aired this conversation
on March 31st, but may re-play it again later in the month.  It bears
repeated listening.

I also had the good fortune to meet Martin Cohen, founder of Latin
Percussion and share some microphone time with him.  He's a great guy!
What stories to tell.  I could just switch on the mini-disc recorder
and let it roll.  I'd probably fill two or three discs at slow speed
with him!  He visited the University Of Michigan for a talk and photo
exhibit.  Roland Vazquez, who now teaches at UM, e-mailed me and asked
me if I could turn an interview around in one day.  I said, "can do".
So, Martin and his 9 year old son, Matthew visited our studios.  While
Martin entertained me and WEMU listeners with one great story after
another, his son Matthew scurried about taking photos.  Here is a
link to Martin's website for photos:
http://content.congahead.com/galleries/umich05/index.htm

While you're at the site, you have to go to Martin's homepage and spend
some time with the text along with more photos.  Fascinating stuff.
I'll visit this site along with smithsonianjazz.org for Jazz
Appreciation Month features since Tito Puente is the musician in this
year's Jazz Appreciation Month poster.

I look forward to face-to-face facts and fun with the jazz radio family
in June at the JazzWeek Summit.

Joyspring!

Linda

Linda Yohn