[JPL] Re: Jazz Playlists for 04/04 to 04/09

Matthew Merewitz mmerewit at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 10 04:29:19 EDT 2005

The above playlists are from shows with a jazz focus or that have new
jazz being played on them on WRCT Pittsburgh (student/community radio
station at Carnegie Mellon University). The call letters refer to the
former name of the school (RCT = Radio Carnegie Tech). We have had
those call letters since the station started circa 1948 but until the
1980s we were on 900 AM.  We now broadcast on 88.3 FM at 1700 watts
directional (all directions except East due to competition from another
station to our East).

Though we mostly play independent (indie) rock/hip-hop/alt-country and
international, we have quite a sizeable jazz collection (especially
free jazz). We like to think of ourselves as a more risk-taking
alternative to the relatively conservative programming at the local
top-notch NPR jazz station - WDUQ 90.5 FM.

I am jazz director & promotions director. (Note: The playlist with lots
of Medeski Martin and Wood was gearing up for a show that is happening
this Sunday night (i.e. tonight) and to get people in the mood I played
almost everything the station had. We were also giving away tix thanks
to the Three Rivers Arts Festival and the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust.

Matt Merewitz
jazz director
internal music director
promotions director