[JPL] Blackjazz records

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:14:12 EDT 2005

Russ,

I'm guessing you went to http://www.blackjazz.com/aboutus.html. They have a
cease and desist warning on their site because Soul Jazz is allegedly
bootlegging Black Jazz product. Of course, this is according to James
Hardge, cited on the website as president of Black Jazz. Without knowing or
commenting on the legal case involving the companies, Soul Jazz has issued a
sampler of available titles, including discs by Doug and Jean Carn, Walter
Bishop Jr., Henry Franklin, Calvin Keys, Chester Thompson, and the original
founder of Black Jazz, Gene Russell. I remember owning many of these lps in
the 70s. It's all a matter of taste, and I haven't heard them in many years
so I can't say how well all of them hold up, but Carn's "Infant Eyes" was an
important record for many back in the day. It sold quite well for an
independent label and I predict that if you play it today the phones will
light up.

Larry Appelbaum
WPFW-FM