[JPL] Can you hear me now?

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 13:09:29 EDT 2005

OK, here's something to think about.  A friend sent me the following
link which relates to something that's been a concern to me almost as
long as I've been in the radio biz.    As a recording engineer (both
analog and digital) for nearly as long, I've heard broadcasts of music
I've recorded severely impacted by overzealous "dynamic control" at
stations - ditto favorite albums that sound "different" on the air
(note the section on The Radio Loudness Fallacy).  I can support a
certain amount of limiting, particularly in broadcast, but it's
compression that really hurts my ears and sensibilities.

Historically, music consists of melody, harmony, rhythm and dynamics.
Rap has already eliminated melody and harmony, and systems for
reproducing music are essentially eliminating dynamics (worst case
scenario I've noted:  3 db dynamic range on a rock station).  All
that's left is rhythm.  I suspect the next big thing may be just
sitting in front of the cave, hitting rocks together!   or white noise
at 0 db (100% modulation) switching on and off .

This may seem like an overly technical matter for this group, but I
love music and I think this is another nail in the coffin for
creativity.   Check it out.

  http://www.mindspring.com/~mrichter/dynamics/dynamics.htm

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI