[JPL] My favorite Black Jazz album..

Arturo arturo893 at qwest.net
Tue Apr 19 13:23:03 EDT 2005

Black Jazz Records entire output was only around 22 albums, most everyone
was a winner start to finish and every one had some worthy material for its
era. I have perhaps 10 of the original LPs in my collection and my favorite
release although I'll admit not the best is the organ player Chester
Thompson's album. Chester will forever be linked to Tower of Power and
Santana but before he played with them he made an organ-tenor group
recording demonstrating his jazz and blues chops. As a long time fan of
Tower, I'll admit to being a groupie of theirs back in the early 70's
following them all over Californina, I purchased the LP at the original
Tower Records of the Sunset Strip(how ironic) after he had joined Tower and
he told me he had recorded that album.

Other of my favorite delights from Black Jazz Records include, Walter
Bishop, Rudolph Johnson and Doug Carn.

Arturo Gómez
jazz89 KUVO