[JPL] Re: John Rogers

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Tue Apr 19 09:52:57 EDT 2005

I too lament the termination of John Rogers from Fantasy.
I always had an easy rapport with John because we both appreciate the music's history, and play from it extensively in our respective shows, especially late '30s-early '40s Ellingtonia.  Moreover, he was a  custodian of that extraordinary Fantasy catalogue, a strong advocate for Milestone's ongoing releases, and a friend to all of us who come to work relishing the arrival of great new music.  I hope John continues to attend IAJE, where I enjoyed many conversations and an occasional drive down the Pacific Coast Highway with him.

As for the economies of scale that drive corporate mergers and lay waste to human resources, I shudder.  And I remain steadfast in my committment to jazz on public radio as an instrument of social good and nourishment for the soul.

Tom Reney
"Jazz à la Mode"
Monday-Thursday, 8 p.m.-Midnight

WFCR 88.5 FM