[JPL] NEXT WEEK ON XM

davispro at mindspring.com davispro at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 22 07:25:34 EDT 2005

XM 72...BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (25 April-1 May 05)

This Monday, April 25th, we'll present another edition of our special feature...MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS! on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of 2004 Grammy-nominated saxophonist, BILL EVANS! We'll hear Bill's whole musical story including his work with Miles Davis, John McLaughlin & Mahavishnu as well a many all-star collaborations and all of his award-winning solo work. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific. It's MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS! featuring BILL EVANS! on XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

This week is a special NEW ORLEANS JAZZ FEST edition of our new show JAMMIN' JAZZ...JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted my Michelle Sammartino.  What's it all about?  Well here's how  Michelle describes what you'll hear on the show..."anything with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else." Listen for JAMMIN' JAZZ three times each week...Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific, right after the weekly request show THE EMAIL REPLY HOUR. It's JAMMIN' JAZZ...JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! with Michelle Sammartino this week featuring The Meters, Dr. John, Los Hombres Calientes, Galactic and more!

This week, as we celebrate the opening of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival we're proud to present New Orleans' own GALACTIC LIVE! on WEDNESDAY NITE LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 8 PM Pacific/11 PM Eastern spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we invite you to shake your money maker with the funky band from the Crescent City live at the XM Performance Theatre in Washington, DC...It's GALACTIC LIVE! on this weeks addition of WEDNESDAY NITE LIVE @ BJ'S!

IF IT'S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you'll hear a classic fusion piece and get the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. IF IT'S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION! on XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

On Saturday, April 30th, Beyond Jazz presents a special edition of "WORDS & MUSIC" as we spend the day with one of the masters of modern jazz guitar on a special show titled "HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE KHAN!"   April 28th marks the birthday of one of the greats of modern jazz so it's time to celebrate. We'll talk to Steve about growing up in California with his world famous father, his move to New York during the fusion era, his work with the Brecker Brothers and Caribbean Jazz Project and of course his brilliant solo work. Each hour begins with conversation followed by music. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) It's " HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE KHAN!" this weeks edition of "WORDS & MUSIC"

Every Sunday it's the EMAIL REPLY HOUR...from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz...XM 72
There's another batch of new music coming to you this Sunday, May 1st, because it will be another Premier Sunday from XM 72, Beyond Jazz. We'll present the premier of five new releases including multi-grammy winner Dave Holland and his new big band CD "Overtime" featuring modern big band jazz with an undercurrent of hip hop beats.  Sounds unique?  Well it is. Then it's The Bad Plus with their first ever live release titled "Blunt Object-Live In Tokyo." Then listen for legendary percussionist Babatunde Lea with special guest Steve Turre on "Suite Unseen: Summoner Of The Ghost." Then there's soprano saxophonist Jane Ira Bloom, with the help of Charlie Hunter's favorite electronic drummer Bobby Previte, on her new release "Like Silver, Like Song." Then we'll wrap it up with the new sound of Los Angeles MOJA with the band Shapes and their new CD "The Big Picture" featuring the talents of special guests Jimmy Haslip and Russell Ferrante of the Yellowjackets along with guitarist Robben Ford. It's five new releases on Sunday, May 1st beginning at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific, immediately following this weeks edition of Jammin' Jazz, on another Premier Sunday from XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) Satellite Radio