[JPL] Still Another Jazz Show April 18

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 19:49:28 EDT 2005

Still Another Jazz Show   April   18

Savoir Faire    “Martitha”     RUNNING  OUT  OF  TIME
Delmark Records

Ted Nash and  Odeon     “Night In Tunisia”   “Walk
This Way”
Palmetto Records

Stefano di  Battista       “Salt Peanuts”     PARKER’S
MOOD
Blue Note

The Bad Plus     “We Are The Champions”     “And Here
We Test Our Powers
Of Observation”     BLUNT OBJECT    LIVE IN TOKYO
Columbia Records

Eugene McDaniels    “Trapped”  “Nuclear Dancing”
SCREAMS  AND WHISPERS
Genepool Records

Anat Cohen     “The 7th Of March”     PLACE & TIME
Anzic Records

Jay Thomas/Wataru Hamasaki with Geoffrey Keezer Trio
  “For A Change”
“Tony’s Town”    ACCIDENTLY YOURS         McVouty
Records

Kate McGarry   “Chelsea Morning”      “Mercy Streets”
   MERCY STREETS
Palmetto Records

Gary Burton        “Walkin’ In Music”      NEXT
GENERATION    Concord Jazz

Charles Lloyd      “Ne Me Quitte Pas”      JUMPING
THE CREEK        ECM

Eric Comstock     “Easy On The Heart”    NO ONE KNOWS
    Harbinger Records

Harry Waters      “You Stepped Out Of A Dream”   OUT
OF A DREAM   Summit Records

We begin with Chicago violinist  SAVOIR FAIRE and his
new RUNNING OUT OF TIME release on Delmark Records.
He grew up in Chicago and nurtured through Chicago
Symphony and Interlochen summers -  a commitment  to
the joy of the  music - an distinctive aspect of
musicians in Chicago jazz.  A classically trained
electric violinist with an open free flowing modern
style and a band that more than steps up  to the
occasion . A quintet of very good players, imbued with
that post  hard bop Bar B. Q.,   like The House Of
Blue Lights.  The band of guitarist, Bill Mackay,
piano, Ben Patterson, bass player Kurt Schweitz or
Kyle Hernandez and Corey Redford, drums.   Here’s an
avant gard taste with “One Inch Angels,” a ballad,
“Sommer’s Ashes,” a poignancy and prose of
“Interlude.”    We played “Martitha,” which has a
subtle Coltrane nuance and Savoir Faire. Electric
eclectic.   In order to do it right, you need the band
to do it right and Savoir Faire has that band.  Savoir
Faire has the melodic resonance of a Stefan Grapelli
as if Stefan was jamming with Tommy  Flanagan, Paul
Chambers and Roy Haynes.
You have old style meeting new style,  a symbiosis of
kinder energy, combining a fire aggressive attitude.
Savoir Fair reflects the new electric violin and jazz
syunergy on this new  RUNNING OUT OF TIME CD.
In terms of concept, orchestration, musicianship and
manifestation,   multi reed player  TED NASH and ODEON
is ‘miles ahead’ in his scope as demonstrated on his
new Palmetto Release LA ESPADA DE LA NOCHE.  How many
times have you heard of a heartfelt alto sax and
accordion open, not this far west of the Casbah.
Nash’s version “A Night In Tunisia” is cellar bar
musty, a noir nuance of Bogart and Becall. And if you
can dance the tango, then “Sebago!” This band has no
bass or piano as apply demonstrated by accordion and
tuba.   Nash’s sound is big and warm and sultry
conniving as a Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre -
POST MODERN.  Don’tr forget post modern.  And oif you
thinik “Tico - Tico” will bring Carmen Miranda in your
living room, or sashay with you during rush hour when
traffic is stalled and your frustration of daily
bureaucratic incompetency brings forth a Fellini
opening scene like “8 ½,” get that disparagingt
nmotion out of your head and read Eckhardt Tolle .
Enjoy the momentous moments of this new Nash CD, as he
takes you to far off  lands and perfumed  jazzy
‘tango’ interludes. We played an original  “Walk This
Way” by Nash, where he wails quietly on tenor
saxophone to a nice hard bop with non other
instrumentation.  It’s like bouncing in mid- town
Manhattan and you walk into a club near the U.N.
Building and everyone speaks French, but you and
there’s band ODEON playing this music and you’re
dancing the tango, then ‘the chicke,’ then the booga-
loo. And you’re like saying: “IT’S LIKE
ATMOSPHERIC!!!” Then you wake up,  at noon,  wondering
where the heck that club is  located, so I can party
again like it was 1999?
So that brings us to the  Dizzy dirge, “Salt Peanuts.”
 Saxophonist STEFANO DI BATTISTA
plays some scarey fun bebop in the new CD, PARKER’S
MOOD.   Di Battista gives us the pure fun of post be
bop in this new CD.  Players to watch: Kenny Barron
for his connection to past lives and lost overtures
and Rosario Bonacorso, trumpet player, for his playful
skill. And final cudos to Dominic Vigare, trumpet
player, house painter, Korean  war veteran and
Gurddjieff fan.
And those beyond,   “You’d dig this CD !!
BAD PLUS begins the second segment with a LIVE FROM
TOKYO performance from the new BLUNT OBJECT CD on
Columbia Records.    We played “We Are The Champions,”
with an “Avi  Maria” open to a Freddie Mercury “Super
Bowl”  conclusion.   Little did Freddie know that his
song would be cultivated by hundreds of millions in
1984 wide screen mythology! We followed with “And Here
We Test Our Powers Of Observation.” where the yin and
yang become part of the tin and tang,”the space
drink,” a cheap shrink and mar a dink !  The Bad Plus
are the real thing,  no hostile take over, no party of
the other party, or  non forthcoming solution.   Just
playing  new interesting music.
EUGENE  MCDANIELS  is next with his new CD,   SCREAMS
AND WHISPERS.  What I hear is a burst of articulate
lyrics, contemporary arrangements and reflective
Steely Dan, Michael Franks and Gino Vanelli,  blended
with post modern fatalism and second chance winning
mythology. You’re right,  there’s no road to the real
truth. Or is it...MODERN ROMANCE, uncomplicated in
it’s reggae euphoric complicity as in “You’ve Taken
All.” There’s such good orchestration here  with
supple talented musicians.   We played “Trapped” and
“Nuclear Dancing.” This is a new McDaniels. A
McDaniels  without restraints. Same as “Feels Like
Making Love” and “Compared To What?    Only different!
 Too Rare. Too Compare!     “Alien” is ‘rule the
land,’ ‘ party in the white house the protest of this
CD.  Get Les on this!
ANAT COHEN concludes this  segment from her new CD,
PLACE & TIME.  She has a nice warm tone with giant
claps on clarinet, soprano and tenor saxophone .  A
major hops reed player.  Sounds redundant?  We played
“The 7th of March.” ANAT’S, and my sister’s birthday,
as well.   Where she plays the soprano. There’s a
little klessmer andante here, as she explores
rapturous technique  A genius, multi talented  reed
player ANAT COHEN and the band is top notch with Jason
Linder, Ben Street, Jeff Ballard and brother Avishai
playing trumpet on a few cuts on this new CD The she
picks it upo on “Say It” in a lazy Harlem Ben Webster
fashion. This is too  good to miss...A wait til you
hear Anat go piano less with brother Avishai on
trumpet  on Gerry Mulligan’s “As Catch Can.” A smokin
ritual!
JAY THOMAS begins the second hour of SAJS with
saxophone player  WATARU HAMASAKI and the young bop
voyager, GEOFFREY KEEZER.   We played “For A Change,”
which explodes like a Blue Mitchell, Tina Brooks and
Horace Silver session, for this is the  real hard bop
heaven.  What a nice CD! Come on now, all you olde
time  short brimmed, slim tie at the Hackensack ,
Brooks Bros.  before pre Beatles mania, that brief
envelope of precious hard bop is brought back with a
vengence, for this is pre cell phone pandemonium
distraction to the finer cool in all of us.  This band
is locked in the restive us in hard bop heaven. We
also played “Tony’ds Town” by drummer Jon Wika.   It’s
a stirring of ancient heiroglyphics that Blakey  wrote
on tab til twenty years ago. I’m saying that this CD
is so enjoyable. You may get so nervous to visit an
all night Crispy Creme.
KATE MCGARRY is next with two selections from her new
CD, MERCY STREETS.  This is such a nice CD with
amalgam presence of remarkable musicianship,
arrangements and stellar production, for a McGarry
essence is captured here. We played Joni Mitchell’s
“Chelsea Morning” and Peter Gabrial’s “Mercy Streets.”
 The interplay with guitarists, Steve Cardenas and
Keith Ganz is precious, part of which this CD is
about, a relaxed deep reflection of quiet time
summers for the kids  on the crowded Hamptons then off
on a real trip in a Metheny  AIRSTREAM, to lovely
parts unknown.  That’s why you listen longer.
Guitarist JULIAN LAGE  from Santa Rosa,  walks us
acoustically into a song he wrote with  GARY BURTON
and the NEXT  GENERATION. Then Lage electrifies the
crowd with his adroit work and compositional skills,
as multi malleted GARY BURTON portrays on this
portrayal on “Walkin To The Music.”   There are some
young cats,  who’ll appreciate this, along with the
rest of us.
We begin the last segment with CHARLES LLOYD and his
newest on ECM,  JUMPING THE CREEK. This is a branch
of comprehensive compliant components, Geri Allen,
Robert Hurst, Eric Harland.  What’s the great
introduction from a sane pianist  Geri Allen’s cvery
compelling intr is special on this new CD. We played
Jacque Brel’s “If You Go Away” of which,  the French
version of “Ne Me Quitte Pas.”
Singer pianist, ERIC COMSTOCK and the new NO ONE KNOWS
CD  is next with a wonderful version of Charlie
Haden’s “Easy  On The Heart.” He’s a modern version of
a Manhattan cabaret Bobby Short, sophisticated,
sublime and erudite with swing.   Comstock’s phrasing
is easy, laid back with  warm articulation. And  what
of the great players on this CD, Peter Bernstein, Eric
Reed sitting in on a few cuts, Frank Wess, Wycliffe
Gordon, Peter Washington  and drummer, Matt Wilson.
You just know it’ll be great. Upon listening,  you
realize that Comstock is a fine arranger, knowing best
what he wants to portray from every song.
Trombonist HARRY WATERS is next with the new OUT OF A
DREAM CD.    Waters has a touch of the “J. J.”  soul
in his musical language. LOVE SONGS /HARRY WATTERS
reminds me of some of the early packaging of the jazz
musicians on Prestige, Milestone and Blue Note,
Coltrane Plays For Lovers,  J. J. Johnson “For Lovers
Only,” etc.   Arrangements are straight ahead
mainstream with a nice touch, resurrecting  Kai
Winding moments. That’s what Harry Watters does... an
era of West Coast vs East Coast as the hot blows cool.

As all good things must come to an end, as this and
other shows will and must...for there’s always a
beginning,  a middle and an end.  For some there’s
denouement, that’s when you neatly pack up the card
table, napkins in one section, neatly washed utensils
in the other, in our case, put away the music in
alphabetical chronology, as in music hieroglyphics,
for  we are all  anthropologists to the future,  as we
say goodbye til next week with DAREK OLES from LIKE A
DREAM and pianist Brad Mehldau, and a marvelous duo
piece, “Blues For Eden.”

Dick Crockett
STILL ANOTHER JAZZ SHOW
MONDAYS,   10am & 10 pm, Pacific