[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 4/22/05

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Apr 23 00:56:38 EDT 2005

Jazz from Studio Four
Friday, April 22, 7pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

About this broadcast

THE MUSIC OF CHARLES MINGUS (b. April 22, 1922)

7:00pm
THEME; Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

7:05pm
Charles Mingus: Myself When I Am Real, Mingus Plays Piano (Impulse)
Charles Mingus: Half-Mast Inhibition, Mingus Revisited (Emarcy)

7:24pm
Charles Mingus: Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting, Blues and Roots (Atlantic)
Charles Mingus: Song With Orange, Mingus Dynasty (Columbia)
Johnny Coles: Duke Ellington's Sound of Love, New Morning (Criss Cross)

7:48pm
Joe Lovano: Peggy's Blue Skylight, Rush Hour (Blue Note)
Charles Mingus: Celia, East Coasting (Bethleham)
Charles Mingus: Eulogy for Rudy Williams, Timeless (Savoy)

8:10pm
Charles Mingus: Fables of Faubus, The Complete Candid Recordings (Mosaic)
Eric Dolphy: The Baron, Out There (Prestige New Jazz)
Hal Willner: Meditations on Integration, Weird Nightmare (Columbia)

8:30pm
Miles Davis; Charles Mingus: Smooch, Miles Davis: Chronicle (Prestige)
JJ Johnson: Reflections (Mingus), Origins, The Savoy Sessions (Savoy)
Dinah Washington: Blues for A Day, Mellow Mama (Delmark/Apollo)

8:44pm
Charles "Baron" Mingus: Swingin' An Echo; Shuffle Bass Boogie; Make Believe;
This Subdues My Passion; Pipe Dream; Mingus Fingers,
Charles "Baron" Mingus West Coast 1945-49 (Uptown)

9:07pm
Charles Mingus: Carolyn "Keki" Mingus, Me Myself and Eye
(Atlantic/Collectables)
Charles Mingus: Alice's Wonderland, Jazz Portraits (Blue Note)

9:27pm
Joe Henderson: Portrait (Mingus), The State of The Tenor (Blue Note)
Jerry Granelli: Boogie Stop Shuffle, Broken Circle (Songlines)
Mark Murphy: Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Bop For Miles (HighNote)

9:47pm
Charles Mingus: Theme for Lester Young, Mingus Mingus Mingus (Impulse)
Charles Mingus; Hampton Hawes; Danny Richmond: Dizzy Moods, Trio (Roulette)

10:05pm
Charles Mingus: Sue's Changes, Changes One (Atlantic)

10:28pm
Mingus Big Band: Nostalgia in Times Square,
The Essential Mingus Big Band (Dreyfus Jazz)
Roseanna Vitro: Strollin' aka Nostalgia in Times Square,
Passion Dance (Telarc)

10:44pm
Craig Handy: Eclipse, Reflections in Change (Sirocco)
Jill Seifers: Eclipse, The Waiting (Fresh Sounds)
Ricky Ford: Portrait Of Mingus, Flying Colors (Muse LP)

11:04pm
Charles Mingus: Open Letter to Duke, Mingus Ah Um (Columbia)
Duke Ellington: Money Jungle, Money Jungle (Blue Note)
Charles Mingus: Things Ain't What They Used To Be, Mingus Dynasty (Columbia)

11:26pm
Jessica Williams: Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, All Alone (Maxazz)
Steve Lacy - Eric Watson: I X Love, Spirit of Mingus (Freelance)
Ravi Coltrane: Self Portrait in Three Colors, Mad 6 (Columbia Eighty Eights)

11:46pm
Charles Mingus: Reincarnation of A Love Bird, The Clown (Atlantic)

11:55pm
Charles Mingus: Body And Soul, Mingus Plays Piano (Impulse)

END