[JPL] R.I.P. Jimmy Woode

eric jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Tue Apr 26 14:16:45 EDT 2005

I was doing a Duke Ellington tribute last night when I got a phone call
saying that former Ellington bassist Jimmy Woode died.

I found this today on AllAboutJazz.com.

  Jimmy Woode funeral service will be held Friday 29 Apr in New Jersey.
A memorialservice will be hed in Bern, Switzerland on 10 May at Mahogany
Hall. Jimmy Woode died at home in New Jersey Saturday 23apr

Some of you may know that Jimmy's daughter is a wonderful vocalist named
Shawnn Monteiro. She has a few CDs out. Her latest features her father
and her Godfather, Clark Terry. She even has a DVD out in Europe but I
think it only comes in Pal so it's not compatible with most American tvs.

Eric Jackson
7 pm - mid Mon - Thurs
WGBH Boston
89.7 FM