[JPL] Pasqua/Albert

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 15:10:32 EDT 2005

"The Color Of Things" and "My New Old Friend" are outstanding new releases. Both are beautifully recorded and from a writing perspective they share common ground in their musical sophistication and vision. Many of the songs have expansive forms and are lyrical, melodic,  harmonically and texturally interesting and played with exceptional musicianship. I really appreciate the variety in the structures, rhythms and meters which makes for a non predictable listen. There's also superb compositional and improvisational balance with the songs. A great solo can make a poorly written song sound somewhat better than it is but rarely does this happen - and a weak solo will make a well written piece sound worse than it is. Better to have both at a high level. Two thoughtful recordings indeed. I would have packaged "My New Old Friend"  slightly different though because as it is, you're forced to pull the CD out of the sleeve in a pinching position - which puts fingers on both sides of the disc -
 potentially scratching it.

Jae Sinnett
WHRV FM
Norfolk, VA