[JPL] CMJ Top 10 & More

Matthew Merewitz mmerewit at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 26 16:19:40 EDT 2005

Here are the CMJ Top 10 I just reported for WRCT Pittsburgh earlier
today (3 or more spins).

1. Dodo Marmarosa -- A Proper Intro To -- Proper Records
2. John Zorn -- Classic Guide to Strategy: Vol. 3 -- Tzadik
3. Charles McPherson -- A Tribute to Charlie Parker -- Clarion Jazz
4. John Pizzarelli -- Knowing You -- Telarc
5. Eldar -- Eldar -- Sony Music Entertainment, Inc.
6. Dave Douglas -- Mountain Passages -- Greenleaf Music
7. Miles Davis -- The Best of Miles Davis -- Fantasy Records
8. BeatleJazz -- With A Little Help From Our Friends --
Lightyear/Razler Records
9. Amina Figueroa -- Come Escape With Me --
10. Various Artists -- The Sound of NY Jazz Underground -- Fresh Sound
New Talent

And the people we are playing, just not enough to make the top 10 (1-2
spins):

11. Sun Ra -- Heliocentric Worlds Vol. 3 -- ESP-Disk
12. Rahsaan Roland Kirk -- The Man Who Cried Fire -- Hyena Records
13. Dave Holland Big Band -- Overtime -- Dare2
14. Curtis Stigers -- I Think It's Going to Rain Today -- Concord
Records
15. Ravi Coltrane -- In Flux -- Savoy
16. Brotzmann/Friis Nielsen/Uuskyla -- Medicina -- Atavistic
17. Babs Gonzales -- A Proper Intro To -- Proper Records
18. Monty Alexander -- Live At the Iridium -- Telarc
19. The Nels Cline Singers -- The Giant Pin -- Cryptogramophone
20. Mel Torme/Gerry Mulligan/George Shearing -- The Classic Concert
Live -- Concord Records
21. Taylor Eigsti Trio -- Resonance -- Bop City Records
22. Sun Ra -- Media Dreams -- Art Yard
23. Shelly Berg Trio -- Blackbird -- Concord Records
24. Kurt Rosenwinkel -- Deep Song -- Verve Music Group
25. Pharoah Sanders Quintet -- Pharoah's First Quintet -- ESP-Disk
26. Jeff Parker -- The Relatives -- Thrill Jockey
27. Onaje Allan Gumbs -- Remember Their Innocence -- self released
28. Jason Moran -- Same Mother -- Blue Note Records
29. Mike Khoury/Carl Smith -- Elton Park: Duets and Trios 2002 -- self
released
30. Joe McPhee -- Po Music -- Hat Hut Records

Matt Merewitz
jazz director, internal music directory
WRCT Pittsburgh

P.S. If anyone wants to split a room at JazzWeek, I am looking for a
roommate since I am a student and have no money for 4 nights in an
expensive hotel.