[JPL] Percy

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 21:59:30 EDT 2005

I just received the sad news that Percy Heath passed this morning.  I
had heard he was in the final stages of cancer and no longer receiving
visitors.

I'm sure many of us have fond memories of this jazz giant, whether in
the MJQ, with his brothers or in the many other recordings on which he
left his strong imprint.   His buoyant swing provided a definitive
illustration of the term.   His good humor and spirit enlivened every
situation he was in.  I was privileged to witness it in action when
Percy, Jimmy and Tootie visited our studio - we all laughed a lot that
day!

Percy will swing that great jam session in the sky!

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org