[JPL] Benny Bailey ... Robert Farnon

Seymour, Bob BSeymour at wusf.org
Fri Apr 29 15:16:07 EDT 2005

Too many losses in the jazz world this month....  I just got word that
the expatriate trumpeter Benny Bailey has died at age 79.  Apparently he
was found in his apartment earlier today.  In addition to his own
recordings, he made innumerable records with the Clarke/Boland Big Band,
took part in the McCann/Harris "Swiss Movement", and of course was
immortalized in the Quincy Jones tune, "Meet Benny Bailey".

And I didn't see it mentioned here, but last weekend Robert Farnon died
at age 87.  Renowned for his 'light orchestral' music, his jazz
collaborations included Lena Horne, Singers Unlimited, and George
Shearing in the 70's; and Joe Williams' "Here's to Life" and the
beautiful J. J. Johnson "Tangence" in the 90's.  Also a lot of Tony
Bennett collaborations.

His bio refers to lifelong friendships with Dizzy Gillespie and Oscar
Peterson, stemming from hanging out at places like Minton's during his
young years living in Toronto, and regrets that planned recordings with
Dizzy and Oscar never panned out.

Bob Seymour

WUSF, Tampa