[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 4/29/05

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Apr 30 00:50:40 EDT 2005

Friday, April 29, 7pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7
About this broadcast

EDWARD KENNEDY "DUKE" ELLINGTON (B 4/29/1899)

7:00pm
THEME; Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Not)

7:05pm
Duke Ellington: Medley: Black and Tan; Prelude to A Kiss; Do Nothing Til You
Hear From Me; Caravan, Live At The Whitney (Impulse)
Kenny Barron; Gary Bartz; SPHERE: Isfahan, Sphere (Verve)

7:24pm
Randy Weston: Heaven, Caravan (Verve)
Betty Roche: Something To Live For, Take The "A" Train (Bethleham)
World Saxophone Quartet: Come Sunday, Plays Ellington (Nonesuch LP)

7:44pm
Duke Ellington: Retrospection; Passion Flower; Reflections in D, Piano
Reflections (Capitol)
Duke Ellington: Black Beauty, Unknown Session (Columbia)
Roland Kirk: Creole Love Call, the Inflated Tear (Atlantic)

8:06pm
Percy Heath (d. 4/28/2005)
The Heath Brothers: Passion Flower, Im Motion (Columbia/Collectables)
Modern Jazz Quartet: It Don't Mean A Thing..., European Concert (Label M)
The Heath Brothers: Daydream, As We Were Saying (Concord)

8:27pm
Abbey Lincoln / Archie Shepp: Sophisticated Lady, Painted Lady (ITM Records)
Ben Webster: Chelsea Bridge, The Verve Years (Verve)
Billie Holiday: Solitude,
Great American Composers: Ellington / Strayhorn (Verve)
Duke Ellington; John Coltrane: My Little Brown Book,
Ellington & Coltrane (Impulse)

8:50pm
Louis Armstrong / Duke Ellington: Lucky So and So; Black and Tan Fantasy;
Mood Indigo, The Great Summit (Roulette)
Bill Charlap; The New York Trio: Jump for Joy,
Love You Madly (Venus Records)
Chico Hamilton; Eric Dolphy: I'm Beginning to See The Light, The Original
Ellington Suite (Pacific Jazz)

9:15pm
James Carter: The Stevedore Serenade, The Real Quiet Storm (Atlantic)
Jody Sandhaus: I Like the Sunrise, A Fine Spring Morning (CAP Music)
Joe Temperley: Sunset and The Mockingbird, Nightengale (HEP Records)

9:39pm
Norris Turney: Blues For Edward, Big, Sweet 'n Blue (Mapleshade)
Duke Ellington; Johnny Hodges: Weary Blues, Back to Back` (Verve)
Duke Ellington: Slow Blues, The Pianist (FaNTASY)

10:07pm
Charles Mingus; George Adams (b. 4/29/1940):
Duke Ellington's Sound of Love, Changes One (Atlantic)
Ray Barretto (b. 4/29/1929): The Mooche,
Portraits in Jazz and Clave (RCA Victor)
Toots Thielmans (b. 4/29/1922): I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart,
Toots Thielmans 1955-1978 (French Columbia/Sony)

10:32pm
Duke Ellington, Charles Mingus; Max Roach: Fleurette Africaine; Warm Valley;
Solitude, Money Jungle (Blue Note)
Sarah Vaughan: in A Sentimental Mood, After Hours (Roulette)
Mose Allison: I Ain't Got Nothin' But The Blues,
Swingin' Machine (Atlantic/32 Jazz)

10:55pm
Miles Davis: Just Squeeze Me, Miles (Prestige)
Clark Terry: Rockin' In Rhythm, The Happy Horns of Clark Terry (Impulse)
Don Ellis: Johnny Come Lately, Essence (Pacific Jazz LP)

11:16pm
Ernie Andrews: Don't You Know I Care, No Regrets (32 Jazz)
Ernie Andrews: Ellington Medley: Satin Doll; I Got It Bad; Take The "A"
Train, The Many Faces of Ernie Andrews (HighNote)
Dave Brubeck: The Duke, The Essential Dave Brubeck (Columbia)

11:35pm
Duke Ellington: Springtime in Africa; Summertime; Blues For Jerry; I Can't
Get Started, Piano in The Foreground (Columbia)
Duke Ellington / Johnny Hodges: Big Shoe, Side By Side (Verve)

11:57pm
Duke Ellington: Kinda Dukish, Piano Reflections (Capitol)